Looks like I'll be diving a lot more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm jealous too. I'd love to live closer to Monterey!

I dunno, quite honestly I'm just not impressed with the education or the usefulness of what Davis offers. I had much better education at a CC, which for how much Davis charges, is quite frankly disgusting. *shrugs*
What is your major? I liked my CC better also but mainly because there weren't any 100+ person classes.

UC Davis has The Stachowicz Lab which is a great source of information about Decorator Crabs.

Notice the second 'Relevant Papers' - "Geographic variation..." That means Dr. Stachowicz gets to travel around studying these things and get paid for it! How's that for a deal?'

I would sign up for UC Davis just to get the chance to hang around the lab.

Richard

I had to put up with UC Davis too so I'm going to be jealous of you. You go to a couple classes, hit up a dive site for a couple dives afterwards. Why didn't I think of this when I was going to school, bah! Anyways, this summer I'll be living within 45 mins of Monterey so that will make up for it. :wink:

Hey don't hate the player hate the game. :wink:

What is your major? I liked my CC better also but mainly because there weren't any 100+ person classes.

My major at UCD is/was Economics but CSUMB has no econ majors (and I'm convinced beyond introductory economics, its not very useful knowledge) so I'll be doing business. Quite honestly, the 100+ person classes is one of the reasons I'm leaving UCD. Hell, one of my econ professors focuses his research on auctions, specifically E-bay, and admits he's only used it once or twice just to see how it feels. Yeah, great way to know a lot about the subject you're studying.

Quite honestly, even beyond the class sizes, I could make a list of at least twenty serious problems with UC Davis as a reason as to why someone should /not/ go there if they want a good education and college experience.

UC Davis has The Stachowicz Lab which is a great source of information about Decorator Crabs.

Notice the second 'Relevant Papers' - "Geographic variation..." That means Dr. Stachowicz gets to travel around studying these things and get paid for it! How's that for a deal?'

I would sign up for UC Davis just to get the chance to hang around the lab.

Richard

No you wouldn't. Trust me, if you went to school there for one quarter, no you wouldn't.

Meh, I don't have many complaints about this place outside the fact that they don't have much for non-traditional learners. But on the same hand most places don't.

The only huge classes I've had were those nasty liberal art classes and a few feeder engineering courses. And if you know the "normal" course flow and don't take the feeder courses (which are generally offered every quarter) in that flow the class size goes down.

To each their own and I hope you enjoy CSUMB.

No you wouldn't. Trust me, if you went to school there for one quarter, no you wouldn't.

I am retired! If I went back to school, I would just be taking up space that could be better used by a younger person. But it would be fun to go back to school and not worry too much about things like grades. Kind of kick back and watch the young people.

Richard

For the postgraduate study types, the UC Davis Bodega Marine Lab is a great facility, located conveniently by some good surfing and great North Coast Diving. They acutally need technically certified divers to help with studies, and monitoring underwater weather monitoring equipment.

Welcome to the Bodega Marine Laboratory

Before you knock UC Davis too much, remembery WHY people from all over the planet are attending, and why the place is crowded. All quality secondary education institutions are overcrowded now, and for good reason.

I haven't attended UC Davis, but the reputation is known worldwide, and the scientist I've met at the lab are good people trying to make a difference and get to the bottom of what's going wrong in our oceans. Try Berkely or UCSF on for class size and competition, not to mention parking. It's pretty brutal. Remember while these things may annoy us, we have some of the best secondary education in the world right here in Nor Cal.

It ain't so bad eh?

Back
Top Bottom