Looking to replace my Zeagle Escape with a travel bp&w. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@flybigjet do yourself a favor and give Tobin at Deep Sea Supply a call. He posted earlier in this thread. Under $500 gets you a full bp/w from him, made in the USA, top quality and service, and if you need any pockets or whatever, check out Cave Adventurers or DGX. I think CA gives military discounts. The other advantage of the DSS rigs are the length options depending on your height. The others are one size fits most and it may not be the right size for you. I had a lot of issues with one piece harnesses until I got my long pattern plates from Tobin and it changed everything for me

I had the Oxycheq Ultralite Travel Plate, which is really ultralight, but you sacrifice a bit of stability. I now switched to the DSS Steel/Kydex plate which I am very happy with.

I have an Oxycheq 30# wing and a DSS 17# wing, both are great.

I have a VDH plate set up for tropical use, I had one before and sold it but it's just to nice in use to not try again. I am 6'5" with sinker legs so I wear my tank high up on my back so I cut belt slots below the supplied ones to get the waist belt into the right spot, I make my own harness because I prefer the straps to attach to the belt because it works better for me that way. A dive rite xt wing and off to Thailand in a month. The Asia based airlines are very strict about carry on weight, 15 lbs max, this could convert into a nice carry on back pack.

Great. Either bronchitis or walking pneumonia.

I think I want to die- at least then I won't be coughing up a lung.

Ugh.

I've been in bed 57 of the last 60 hours I've been home.

R.

Last edited:
eeeww. My wife's taiji instructor's been coughing for the last 6 weeks and my former boss: for 3 or 4 now. Looks like this year's crop of those cold/flu/pulmonary crap is really out to get us.

-- off to buy some airborne and zinc lozenges

How bout the Zeagle Express tech?

I had an Express Tech and liked it very much ... until I bought a more typical metal BP-and-wing rig and started using that. After I got used to the BP/W, the Express Tech just felt too floppy. It was great for saving travel weight and space, though. With its floppy plastic plate, I could almost roll the thing up and stuff it in a backpack. A plastic plate rig, such as the Express Tech, could be great for backpacking around the world. But for regular 1 or 2 week trips, I don't see an advantage. I went from the Express Tech to the opposite end of the spectrum: a steel plate.

Thanks to all-- lots to think about.

I also found a local dealer for Dive Rite TransPac/TravelPac's-- they look like something that might work as well. I'm going to check them out next week IF I ever feel better.

R.

the Dive Rite Hunterpac is infinitely better than the travelpac, and the transpac is hideously expensive for what it is. I have two, and love them, but would never pay new prices for them

Back
Top Bottom