Looking to Dive OBX the week of Sept 18-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definately trying to get a lot of diving in this summer. I'm most likely moving up to Northern Va this winter which will be a major culture shock for me. As much as I love it here, it is just time for me to move on (unfortunatly, most likely into a cubicle :11: ).

Geddies doen't sound familiar, but I'm sure I've run into them before. I live in Duck and am very involved in the comunittee.

I tried to head out for a beach dive on Monday, but the surf was a little rough. Viz wasn't too bad, but the surf kept my group on shore.

Yesterday, I went out on the Advance and had a great time, despite half of the boat puking over the side. My job is on a boat so I'm lucky I'm acclimated to the slightly rough conditions.

Viz was very good at 40' with very warm water at 68. I had a 3/2 on and was fine. Normally, you need at least a 5 mil with a hood on, but I lucked out when I forgot my thick suit.

There were plenty of the typical fish out there; large sea bass, taug-taug, and spades. At one point my buddy and I both heard some crazy croaking sound that kept getting louder and louder. Turns out it was a huge school of amberjacks. They circled around us for almost 3 minutes, sometimes even bumping into us! Very cool!

I took some picts so I'll try to post those later.

So there is your OBX dive report. Good stuff!

bubble blower:
suthnbelle, chris, which week-end? 18 or 25th? I've been wanting to dive them myself so maybe we could all go. A big scuba board dive. I could do it Sunday the 19th (not early morning...playing music the night the before) or Sat the 25th. I think OBXDIVEGUY lives there so maybe we can get him involved. Anyone else?

Cool Guys... I'm delighted... I'd say the 18th n then maybe even the 25th too :wink: . But one day at a time.
When I'm down there I'm not certain if I'll be able to use the internet - so let's PM contact info closer to the date to firm up the details... but this sounds like a great plan in the making.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks OBXDiveguy for the Dive report, love to see fish! Neat to see I can do with a wet suit and not need my Dry... 68 is excellent. Deep dives in the lakes will usually be in the upper 40s this time of year... Bbbrrrrr... sometimes you get lucky on shallow dive in Erie or Simcoe and can get away with a 3 mil... only once in a while.

Keep those Dive reports coming! :)

I'll hopefully be diving the weekend of the 25th. Friday is usually a beach dive for me, and Sat. and Sun. may be a boat dive in the morning.

Diving stinks around here this week, as in there is none. The beach is being slammed with huge waves and the Oregon Inlet bar is not safe for the boats to head out in. As a matter of fact, this is the longest I've seen the red flags out all summer.

Hopefully, after Frances does it's thing, the wrecks will be uncovered more and we will practically have new dives!

Chris Red:
Cool Guys... I'm delighted... I'd say the 18th n then maybe even the 25th too :wink: . But one day at a time.

Hi Chris,

I'm waiting to hear from a diving buddy regarding OBX on the weekend of the 18th. She may want to ride up with me. What day are you leaving for NC?

Okay, another girl said she may want to go but can't do it unless it is the 25th.

Mel

suthnbelle:
...What day are you leaving for NC?

Okay, another girl said she may want to go but can't do it unless it is the 25th.

Mel
Hi Mel
No problem - it may be a good idea the way the weather is shaping up. We've been watching Hurricane Ivan wondering which way the storm will head, could be great for surfing... but not so good for diving :wink: . My Husband is involved with the Eastern Surfing Association and their week long Surfing competition, my daughter and I help out, but my heart is really under the waves, not riding them.
We're leaving home on Sept 16th.
Keep in touch

let me now when get little closer see what i can do , looks like I be leaving fla this friday as we moving out but looks like we may be coming back , looks like ivine next for fla .

We're leaving the evening of Thursday the 16th and finally this trip seems real! I was at a leaders meeting at Scuba 2000 tonight,( my LDS), talking with some folks who had been to OBX just last year. A two and a half hour boat ride out - hmmm where are those motion sickness pills? - and some awesome dives.

Seems the 10 ft high grand stride entry was fun - but getting back on board was a challenge, catching a ride on the ladder as it rises up and plummets down, one of my friends, the one with the really cool video equipment was thrown off the ladder by centrifugal forces and tossed back into the ocean... so that's why you should always keep your reg in on the ladder! Some rules make more sense in different environments :wink:

I give in - I'll bring the laptop along.
Has the extreme weather been a factor lately?

We had a lot of rain from Frances - 0 viz in the Toronto area for shore dives, but last weekend in Kingston, once you got past the first thermocline at 60 ft the viz was great with 50-60 ft. the 45 degrees temp was a bit numbing :10:
See you soon!

Chris Red:
We're leaving the evening of Thursday the 16th and finally this trip seems real! I was at a leaders meeting at Scuba 2000 tonight,( my LDS), talking with some folks who had been to OBX just last year. A two and a half hour boat ride out - hmmm where are those motion sickness pills? - and some awesome dives.

Seems the 10 ft high grand stride entry was fun - but getting back on board was a challenge, catching a ride on the ladder as it rises up and plummets down, one of my friends, the one with the really cool video equipment was thrown off the ladder by centrifugal forces and tossed back into the ocean... so that's why you should always keep your reg in on the ladder! Some rules make more sense in different environments :wink:

I give in - I'll bring the laptop along.
Has the extreme weather been a factor lately?

We had a lot of rain from Frances - 0 viz in the Toronto area for shore dives, but last weekend in Kingston, once you got past the first thermocline at 60 ft the viz was great with 50-60 ft. the 45 degrees temp was a bit numbing :10:
See you soon!

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that I won't be making it to the outer banks this weekend. I have to work in the office and I think the weather is going to suck. The waves should be perfect for the surf contest next week if it's not to rough.

Looks like we're getting rain from Ivan this weekend and mid-next week we might have Jeanne come through for a visit. It looks like she is headed right up the east coast. Here is the phone # for the Outer Banks Dive Center 252-449-8349 to check on dive conditions. They are also the ones that take two groups a day out to the Triangle Wrecks.

After your visit post a trip report for us. Hope you and your husband have a great time in NC!

Mel

anyone got a plan to dive the 2nd of oct i am off !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So has the approaching hurricane already spoiled the coastal diving for this week-end? Are the triangle wrecks dive-able.
I'm drying out....need water. May have to hit Rolesville for an emergency "get wet" session.

jason

Back
Top Bottom