Looking to Dive in Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Spring is just north of Orlando and is a fun little dive unless the manatee are in and the Rangers are up in arms about 'not messin with the wild life.'

There is also Alexander Spring, its fairly shallow, very clear and usually has the entertainment of at least one OW class in check out dives and if your lucky a rescue class trying not to sound like there is a problem. Cave is cave, stay out if your not certed. Cavern is slightly different than cave, but if your not experienced your odds of being a body search are pretty good. Some springs have great little "OW caverns" where you can venture as far back as you can visibly see day light. I'm an explorer by nature, so you can guess what I'm sort of looking into getting certed to do. :)

Clearwater is definitely not diving the Keys, its not even close as its the middle of the west coast of FL which is the Gulf of Mexico.. its a shallow sandy slope with approximately 2' per mile drop. Last week off of Bradenton you had to have both sea legs and stomach to take the boat ride out and the vis was a little low as well. However, before one gets tooooo discouraged, we did have some excellent encounters with wildlife. I counted no less than 40 different species fish (typical tropicals and pelagics) and had some excellent bottom time since the nearly non-existant current and light surge at 40' allowed me to move as fast as I wanted nearly no exertion. The flipside to the Gulf is there are days it is absolutely magnificent and I'd challenge any day in the Gulf on a ledge or artificial reef to any of the east coast reef dives.

East coast diving starts about an hour out from Orlando and goes south to the Keys and ranges from easy shore dives to technical boat dives. If your looking for some fun and straight forward diving, check out Splash Down in Jupiter. Excellent easy drift dives with lots of wild life. Be careful what you touch or want to touch.. critters of the open ocean sometimes bite back, even if it just looks like a sponge.

Opposite of Jupiter on the West Coast of FL is Venice Beach and it has the appeal of a very easy shore dive with the bonus of finding fossils to boot, namely shark teeth in mass abundance. I've got a LOT of other great fossil finds from that location in addition to the teeth, but the teeth are the draw... the grand prize being the coveted Megalodon tooth. If one slows down and looks around there is also a wide variety of fishes and other wildlife to watch as well. I've even had dolphins and turtle encounters there.

So, the question for you now is, what type of dive do you want to have? Reef, drift, shallow ( >20'), deeper (<40'>70').. pretty reef.. sandy shallow eco system with the bonus of fossil finds... clear cool springs... what does your heart desire?

Then again we could have a hurricane come through and diving anywhere for about 10 days is basically shot..

Ronniemu:
Hi Deana,

Is Devil's Den (cave dive) okay with only an OW certification and no cave experience? How far is Blue Springs from Orlando. Can you give me some info on the diving there?
Sorry for taken so long to get back to you. It's been busy here. I am starting my AOW.

Thanks, Ronnie

Devil's Den is an open air cavern. There is sunlight from above through a large hole in the ceiling. Because of this you can dive it with just an OW certification (I did). You need to dive with a light and it can be a little intimidating especially when it is crowded with divers.

I had forgotten about Alexander Springs which is in the Ocala National Forest. It is a great dive to practice your skills. The spring basin is a large bowl about 25 ft max. Your wife can enjoy it too cause its a nice park with picnic tables and nature trails. You don't need to dive with a buddy but you will need to find a shop in Ocala or somewhere if you need to rent tanks. (Bring bug repellant but don't get it on your dive gear).

Blue Springs is only about a half hour drive from Orlando. It is a cavern dive that you can dive with just an OW certification, but you have to dive with a buddy. It goes straight down from the opening so you have plenty of natural light until you get about 60 feet down. You won't be able to go any further without a light and lights are not allowed unless you are cave certified. It is also a nice park. There probably won't be any manatee there at that time of year because it won't be cold enough yet.

Jupiter is an easy drive from Orlando, but I don't think there is much for your wife to do but bubble watch. She might enjoy the boat ride though.

:D Deana

FL_DVLover:
Devil's Den is an open air cavern. There is sunlight from above through a large hole in the ceiling. Because of this you can dive it with just an OW certification (I did). You need to dive with a light and it can be a little intimidating especially when it is crowded with divers.

I had forgotten about Alexander Springs which is in the Ocala National Forest. It is a great dive to practice your skills. The spring basin is a large bowl about 25 ft max. Your wife can enjoy it too cause its a nice park with picnic tables and nature trails. You don't need to dive with a buddy but you will need to find a shop in Ocala or somewhere if you need to rent tanks. (Bring bug repellant but don't get it on your dive gear).

Blue Springs is only about a half hour drive from Orlando. It is a cavern dive that you can dive with just an OW certification, but you have to dive with a buddy. It goes straight down from the opening so you have plenty of natural light until you get about 60 feet down. You won't be able to go any further without a light and lights are not allowed unless you are cave certified. It is also a nice park. There probably won't be any manatee there at that time of year because it won't be cold enough yet.

Jupiter is an easy drive from Orlando, but I don't think there is much for your wife to do but bubble watch. She might enjoy the boat ride though.

:D Deana

I am still working on my trip to Florida. When I get done I will give you a shout. If we could work something out and go diving together that would be great! Thanks, Ronnie

I'm going to be in New Smyrna the week of August 21... looks like Thursday the 24th is my only free day for diving. I would love to do Blue Springs, but since my wife isn't a diver, I am buddyless. Anyone interested for the 24th?

Send me a PM. THANKS!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom