Looking to dive Belize - on vacation in CZM now...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are in Cozumel now. Been several times, and feel as though we planned too many days to stay in one place. We're wondering if it's too convoluted of an idea to try and fly to Belize tomorrow, to spend the last 7 days of our vacation there.

Effectively we'd have 5 days to dive/play there. So we'd need a package with some diving included. I think we'd like to do Ambergris Caye, but not sure if it suits us. Not wanting the "party zone".

I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to fly in to, so I can check travel websites for deals. And will we need to arrange for transport from main airport to lodging area?

Is this the busy time of year? We are a couple with no kids, so we like a quiet pool area, and restaurant/bar on site is best - great food is a MUST. Waterfront is best, if dive boats pick up at hotels.

Hoping for advice on hotels, and transportation.

You can't fly to Belize from Cozumel or even Cancun. At any rate, you usually can't. Maya Island Air does sometimes operate flights from Cancun, but they're pretty expensive and don't fly often.

Most people take the bus from Playa to Chetumal (in Mexico, right at the Belizean border). Very cheap but takes around 5 hours. Then there's a ferry direct to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Get here and there will be lots of cheap options for you (at this time of the year).

An alternative is to cross the border from Chetumal to Corozal and fly direct to San Pedro. Much more expensive and probably won't save any money, so only consider if there isn't a ferry when you want one.

If this interests you then come back here for advice on where to stay and who to dive with. Sunbreeze Hotel right next to the airstrip sounds a good bet for you. The in-house dive operator is good, though there is another I think you should try.

Remember that you'll need to get back again for your flight, presuming you have round-trip tickets.

Don't worry about being in the "party zone" on AC. Firstly most of it isn't like that anyway, but in any case it's very low season right now and there's no partying going on.

Interesting idea. Coz is nice, but after a week - I'd be ready for change. How often do the ferries run, Peter?

Another idea for Squarepants is rent a car at Playa del Carmen and tour ruins on the peninsula and/or dive cenotes around Tulum.

Thank you peterbj7, for your good advice! This helps immensely.

It sounds like with the amount of time availble to us we may not be jumping over to Belize for the second half of our trip. However, with the good information you've given me it will be much easier to plan our next trip - Belize bound. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again, Gayla and Harold

Thank you for another great suggestion, Dandy Don. The ruins and cenotes are definitely a good option. Seen them before, but it's been a while. Will run it by the other half when he gets in from his dive.

Cheers! Gayla

Are you not a diver? Coz would get old faster if not.

Peter's idea has appeal, but if you want to keep it simple within Mexico - Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car has the best prices on a car rental. I can suggest a very nice hotel at the back gate of Chichen Itza if you'd like: Mayaland, booked thru Orbitz worked well for me. Ek Balam is a short drive north of nearby Valladolid and a wonderful site to visit, especially if you're up for the climb to see the artwork up close. Done Coba?

There are many different cenotes to scuba dive too, around Tulum. The Cenotes around Valladolid were formed differently, along the impact line of the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs along with most of all life - anyway, not done on scuba.

Good advice from Don. The ferries from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye run either once or twice daily - I can check if needed. But there are lots of flights from Corozal to San Pedro.

How are the reefs in Belize, and Bonaire for that matter? Have the hurricanes of the last few years bothered them?

How are the reefs in Belize, and Bonaire for that matter? Have the hurricanes of the last few years bothered them?
Hurricanes are a part of nature that I go to visit. I don't want to experience one, but never mind diving after one. Ambergris Cay was not hit by this one; Turneffe Atoll may have been but I'd dive it; never been to Bonaire.

I haven't dived since Richard passed by, but I doubt if much damage was done. There is an area close to the surface which never recovers, because although we have few storms they are frequent enough for the growth of coral at these shallow depths to be inhibited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom