Looking into FL Panhandle first salt water dive trip. How to go about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kduffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking about taking my boys to FL Panhandle for our first salt water dive trip. I need advice as to where to go, (only Open Water certified at this time, 5 years experience) (planning to get Advanced OW late this summer, after the youngest turns 15) We dive in the muddy waters here in KS, and a good bit in NW AR Beaver Lake. We want to see interesting fish and such. We would prefer to keep max depth under 50-60 feet which is twice what we have available in KS. All are strong swimmers and capable divers, typically spearfishing most dives around here.

I am interested in taking my 22' deck boat, to open other possibilities, unless there is good reason to leave it home and rent down there. It will see enough fresh water at home that I am not concerned with the salt, and will flush when I take it out. Also will need advice as to where to get to a ramp, flush, fuel on the water, air fills, etc.

Hopefully others will chime in as I'm a new diver but you've got a few options for panhandle diving, Pensacola, Destin and Panama City come to mind as areas that will have some decent options for diving.

I dove in Panama City Beach last weekend for the first time and very much enjoyed the experience. I'd recommend that on your first trip or two, you use a local dive charter. That way you can get a feel for the diving, the distances from shore, the typical currents, the local practices and then decide if you want to take your own boat on future trips. There were no mooring balls at the sites, the dive master dove down with the anchor line and attached it to the wreck or bridge span with a chain. Panama City Beach has a ton of dive operators, I was shocked at the number once I got there: it was like being in Key Largo. I went with an Atlanta based dive club and we used Panama City Divers: good captain and dive masters. The boat was a 36 foot Newton and they never take more than 14 divers: very comfortable.

The inshore diving, which is 3-4 miles from the shore, is on wrecks and sunken bridge spans. Sand depth was 75 feet and the tops of the bridges and wrecks were at 45-60 feet. Saw goliath grouper on all the sites also saw a bat fish on one, half a dozen mantis shrimp on another, lots of amber jacks, spadefish, butterfly fish, angel fish, etc. Visibility was 35 to 50 feet depending on the site. Water temp was 70-72 degrees but I was fine in my 7mm and hood. I'm headed to Gulf Shores Al in a couple of weekends to dive the Lulu wreck, I'll let you know what it's like.

We also dove Morrison Springs which is a good place for a quick dive if it's been a while since you've been in the water. It's 45 minutes north of PCB. The most interesting thing was the plethora of fresh water eels in the cavern: actually, they were pretty creepy but interesting to observe.

Last edited:
I am still a month away from heading down to the Pensacola through Panama City area. I would think that the bridge pilings and such would be the best areas. We should have a few lake dives in by then, at least by the time we get that far south.

The clearer water would be on the Gulf side, maybe we could get out there after a couple days in the bays. Even the bays will be clearer than any of our KS lakes this year with the rain we have had. On our clearest lake, last weekend I could not see the transducer on the back of the boat from the surface. Not going to be much fun up there this year.

Still looking for advice on the most user friendly area of the bays to get started or call the base camp. Close to interesting dive locations, fuel and a ramp.

Having recently dived in Panama City with Panama City Dive Center, I concur with @sportxlh in saying there are no mooring balls to hook to. So you have to plan for that with someone that can do a drop down quick and hook into a wreck or a span if you are boat diving. You also have to plan for someone staying on the boat. Unless you are just dead set on bringing your own boat, I would hold off and get the feel for the area first. I could not recommend Panama City Dive Center much more than I already have. Great boats, captains and DMs..

We will likely drag the boat, it doesn't take much more fuel behind the one-ton than the loaded truck does. I plan to fish/dive at least a couple lakes in Arkansas, and anywhere else that looks interesting. We use it for fishing, bowfishing, skiing,as well as a dive staging area even for "shore" dives. Like fishing, when you have the ability to pack up and move easily you get used to it and it sucks to be without. The three of us can swap out and keep watch on the boat and dive area. And shore dives are still an option.

I do plan to find a charter to go out on the gulf at least one day later in the week. Depending on where we wind up, and how everything else goes, will determine what locations we are interested in.

I honestly don't have to be in FL, anywhere Gulf Coast from FL to TX is an option if anyone has better suggestions. I see several state/municipal park ramps on Google Maps, but only a couple marina's where gas may be obtained.

Morrison Springs and other area springs sound like a fun trip in and of themselves. Springs diving were suggested by a dive shop I talked to last year. They suggested starting there, getting AOW and Nitrox certs and going to the gulf. Turned out, we only met my wife's folks at Destin for a couple days and an offshore fishing day.

Thanks.

The bottom of our pond was darker than the inside of a cat, and 70 F on Friday........ Any different murky water has to be more fun than completely blind, feeling our way around the rock ledge in the silt and cold.

I dove the Lulu wreck out of Gulf Shores Alabama this last weekend with Down Under Dive Shop. We did a double on the LuLu one day and then a dive on the Notch Barge and Navy Tug the second day. The dive boat is one of the big Newtons; 46 feet long and very stable with plenty of room to stretch out. Vis wasn't great but probably fantastic compared to your lake! A storm had hit the gulf earlier in the week and vis was only 20-50 feet on the various sites. A goliath grouper on the Lulu allowed for close encounters and close up photos. I climbed in the wheelhouse with him and he just calmly watched as I video'ed. Also saw a couple of good size bull sharks, one of the divers dropped to the sand at about 115 feet and got some nice video footage. Lots of tropicals too. On one of the other sites, I saw one of the largest spade fish schools I've ever seen, hundreds and hundreds of members, it was pretty cool to watch them as the danced around us for 10 minutes.

Gulf Shores has two shore dives, the Jetties or a small wreck off the beach just out of the surf zone. Down Under's website has info.

So both Panama City and Gulf Shores should be good options. The only negative to Gulf Shores is the sites are further off shore.... PCB has some close-in sites in addition to the far offshore sites.

Also dove Vortex springs near Morrison Springs. Vis was 75 feet, pretty good for fresh water. Not sure I'll rush back, but it's a decent place to get wet especially compared to a pond with 1 foot of vis

We started with Vortex Springs, which was a good little dive and took time to refresh skills and communications in the crystal clear waters. I recommend the 4C's bar in Defuniak Springs, good evening meal, for pretty cheap! That evening, we moved on to Panama City, looking for an Air2 connector and hose for my BC. Day 2, Ran the sonar around on St Andrew's bay looking for wrecks and likely diving spots for the next day. Found the Spanish Shanty Barge, snorkled and played in the water near the pass, at low tide, got to see the reversal (something we don't see in KS). Looked at several other wrecks, but none caught our eye. Day 3, The next morning my oldest had an ear infection and we missed the high tide getting through an Urgent Care clinic. By the time we got out of there, we decided it was time to move on, instead of going to the EE Simpson Tug that we had planned, just outside of the old pass. We moved on right past Destin to Pensacola, just seeing the sights and visiting dive shops until we found my BC a new Air2 hose. The marina at Texar Bayou was a good evening meal of seafood, specializing in oysters. Went out of the new public ramp in Pensacola across to the snorkling reef, my youngest and I played around there, while the oldest watched the air show. Never made it to the gulf or on a charter due to the ear trouble. Finished up after a few dry days in beautiful Beaver Lake, AR in familiar waters and spent a good day fully flushing the boat and and gear with fresh water.

Lessons learned: It was a good time even with no solid plans preset. With the time spent looking into dive shops and asking around, the best information came from old men that were dive charter captains (one such was from Panama City Dive Center), and locals that grew up there (not many in dive shops). Few dive shops knew anything about the bays, only the charters that they had worked with over the years in the gulf. My flat bottom (think super jon-boat hull) Lowe was as expected, rough on the choppy water of the bays, every time we saw the gulf, it was very smooth, it would have been better out there. I would not hesitate to take my deep V hull deck boat on such a journey. After this research trip, we can go back with my other boat (when I get finished with the rebuild) and have an excellent adventure. We now know enough of the areas, tides and available boat ramps and marinas, (who would think a gulf bay marina would close at 5 pm?) to have a reasonably easy trip. A little better timing, looking into tide schedule would have helped, 6:00 AM high tide would have been better if we had caught it around 10 or noon. I found that my new Lowrance Elite 7 Ti had all the wrecks that we found out about, already marked in the charts (not identified by name), learning to use the sonar was half the trick. We may just be outliers being self sufficient, not relying on charters and every one to take us to every site, but I believe that there are a good many others out there just like us.

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate them.

I much prefer Destin, Pensacola, and Gulf Shores to Panama City. Not that there isn't good diving in PC, but it has more of a college kid party town feel that I don't enjoy as much. Do be very careful with your deck boat in the Gulf. Conditions can change rapidly and even deep-V deck boats are not built for for the steep waves that can build rapidly in the Gulf. Definitely take a local charter to do anything offshore.

Another suggestion that may save you on future dive trips...

Treat ears with a mixture of 1/2 Alcohol and 1/2 Vinegar after each dive day. I was prone to ear infections from water being trapped in my ears until I learned to do that - never had a problem since I started using it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom