Looking into buying a HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
I bought the Darkbuster 21W HID lantern a couple of weeks ago for £189 because I wanted to upgrade my 10W cannister Hid & couldn't justify the £700 ($1300+) for a salvo. I've since done 2 days of UK wreck dives with it & it rocks! Blew away my buddy's 10w greenforce hid & really penetrated in the murky water of the English channel lighting up a large section of the hull as we swam past like my old 10w just couln't, the spot reflector gives a nice tight beam which I found I could signal with (it's like a light sabre) with good peripheral spread. Build quality appears to be excellent, much better than a UK Light Cannon I once had, it charges from a socket in the back and has the latest Li ion battery technology with just under 3 hours burn. Basically if you don't need a goodman handle (i.e.aren't cave diving) it's a lot of bang for the buck & the best value dive light I've seen around. Just wish I'd paid the extra £30 & gotten the 24W.
Mike

It is a nice light, I have sold a few of them. They come with either a video reflector or a spot reflector. They are both pretty nice and seem very durable. They do put out a lot of light and is a cheaper alternative to those not wanting a canister.

Brent

I finally made a decision:D . I found a great deal right here on SCUBA board. I was one of the participants in the "So Cal canister light group purchase". I got a 10W focusable light form one of the top manufactures. I appreciate everyone input. Good diving.

Sean

micbu:
Are you talking about the Brighstar darkbuster?
http://www.brightstar-hid.com/product_info_e.php?UID=772

It is not available yet, they have some leaking problems. Me too I am already waiting for it, I ordered also some of them for my shop.
I was told that they will be delivered to the shops at the end of this month.

Greetings, Michael
So did Brightstar work out the "leaking problems"? Their website says the lights are solid to 100m, but it's easy enough to make grand claims. I'm going to be doing more diving than I usually do this year. Since I have a couple trips planned, I need a new toy. I'm thinking that a crushingly bright light is what I need.

My choices seem to be narrowing to the Nocturnal SL50 or the Brightstar. I'm leaning toward the Brightstar 24w (if anyone sold it). It's almost twice as bright, and should be simlarly priced. Leisure Pro says they'll be selling the 24 watt Brightstar under $300., but they don't have them. I can't find the Brightstar lights listed at www.SCUBAToys.com , although Larry planned to be a distributer. (I wonder if some distribution issue got in the way.)

I thought I'd read that ScubaBoard members got 15% off at the Nocturnal Lights site. I was hoping to get one of the demo SL50 lights for 25% off plus an additional 15% off, but couldn't figure out how to get the price down.

I plan to use one of my LED lights (Shockwave LED or smaller) for night dives, so my next light purchase can be as bright as the sun (hopefully brighter than the sun at 70 fsw), and I'd be happy.

Blade

Hi Blade,

yes the Darkbuster is for sale now. I sell them since November. But I doubt that you will get it for a price under 300$. Brightstar DEMANDS their customer to sell it for about 400$, otherwise they stop delivering it to the distributor.

Michael

Rev. Blade:
I thought I'd read that ScubaBoard members got 15% off at the Nocturnal Lights site. I was hoping to get one of the demo SL50 lights for 25% off plus an additional 15% off, but couldn't figure out how to get the price down.
Blade
Well going back through Tim's posts in the "Hot Deals" forum, I found the code to get an extra 15% off is scubaboard15

I tried it on a test purchase, and the offer (first posted in 2005) is still valid as of today. (It even worked on the 25% off Demo lights.) Unfortunately, my "shopping cart" got a bit bigger than I'd hoped. Shipping was only $12. (but I'd forgotten about it), I hadn't planned on sales tax (but they and I are both in Cali, so...), and then I decided I just had to have the diffusion filter for $16. ...and suddenly saw the light was back up to $256.

...so now I'm waiting to hear if Brightstar worked out it's leaking issues, and if they will be shipping the 24 watt HID in time for my September trip.

I still think the Nocturnal light is the better choice for me, but a 24 watt HID for $300 would be a mighty tempting choice.

Yes, they did work out the leaking problem . Not even one light has returned to me with any problem since I sell them. The light has not arrived at the shops before that problem was solved.

Greetings, Michael

hi all! first post on this forum!

I just checked Leisurepro and they now carry the Brightstar 24w for $284....

JP

Copster, Welcome to the board. Have you called Leisure Pro to see if they have the light in stock? (or bought one?) Their site says it's a "new item". If you click on the words "new item", it displays a link that says it should be available "soon". I've heard that this light is available outside the US, but can't a US source. (One of the overseas merchants on the board indicated I might be able to get one through him, but then I'd be paying international shipping... and I'm not sure if/how the warranty might apply. I've heard some good report about the light, but now I'm looking into making my own canister light. A pre-made 24 watt HID, is mighty tempting though.

micbu:
Hi Blade,

yes the Darkbuster is for sale now. I sell them since November. But I doubt that you will get it for a price under 300$. Brightstar DEMANDS their customer to sell it for about 400$, otherwise they stop delivering it to the distributor.

Michael

Michael, you have just mentioned something very important about the light, glad to see that happening!!!
Brent (hunter991), do you agree with that... or is it possible that there are still some pre-fixed items on the market.

Hey, Michael, may I ask, how do we know we are having the post-fixed version of the light? Any serial number, different out look etc?
Sometime ago, people are staying that, Brighterstar is willing to give them a new light while they were sending them the old one, is that service valid from your side? Was it done by the manufacturer or was it just Salvo service? What I've heard outside N. America were, they do not have they service....

Thanks for your input!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom