Looking good for Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CozumelAntonio:
And although some took pot-shots at prayers :)no ), I do want to thank everyone that did pray for Cozumel, and please keep praying for all those in the path of Dean, may it make landfall in unpopulated areas.

Will do. Good seeing you again back in June. Had another great time at El Coz thanks in part to you and your crew.

I'm so glad it's looking more and more encouraging for Cozumel. That's very good news indeed!!! Don't worry, Antonio, I'm sure those of us that were saying prayers for the people of Cozumel will continue to do so. I know I will.

CNN met just said Chetumal (pop 100,000) will get at least 140 mph + winds, very possibly more. It will cross the yucatan as a hurricane, then end up hitting near Tampico as a cat 2.

This storm is still going to cause a world of hurt for mexico, unfortunately.

We're starting to get the outer rain bands now. It's a little windier than normal, but nothing scary...and the rain is nothing more than we're used to this time of year.

Curfew kicks in at 6:00, about 5 minutes from now. We're ready...but I have a feeling we aren't going to feel that much! At least we are prepared.

Mahahual and Chetumal are the ones we need to worry about. At least Mahahual isn't that developed and there aren't thousands of people there. Chetumal worries me, but the bay should provide some protection from the surge. Mago's family is there...so we're very worried. They didn't have the time to prepare that we did! Please keep these palces in your thoughts!

NBC has a reporter live at Chetumal, and they say they're staying.
I've been listening to thereefradio.com for a live broadcast from San Pedro, Belize, less than 50 miles south of Chetumal.
They just said 7 to 8 foot waves (as of just before 6pm Belize time).
Our friends who own the San Pedro Sun newspaper there are actually back in Wyoming, dealing with other business- and say their staff on Abrergris Caye have all evac'd.
Christi, I'm SOOOO glad to hear you all are going to miss the brunt of this son-of-a-gun.
We'll hope to see you one of these days soon.
Best to all in the entire region.
Craig-

If they are going to get 7' to 8' waves on Ambergris or Caulker, I would think there would be quite alot of damage as the construction is mostly wood rather than concrete. I hope they all can evacuate in time.

Glad that Coz isn't going to get slammed with this one. What impact on the sand on the reefs will this storm have in Coz? Any thoughts?

Nancy

manitou diver:
Glad that Coz isn't going to get slammed with this one. What impact on the sand on the reefs will this storm have in Coz? Any thoughts?

Nancy

None at all, would be my guess.

Christi:
We're starting to get the outer rain bands now. It's a little windier than normal, but nothing scary...and the rain is nothing more than we're used to this time of year.

Curfew kicks in at 6:00, about 5 minutes from now. We're ready...but I have a feeling we aren't going to feel that much! At least we are prepared.

Mahahual and Chetumal are the ones we need to worry about. At least Mahahual isn't that developed and there aren't thousands of people there. Chetumal worries me, but the bay should provide some protection from the surge. Mago's family is there...so we're very worried. They didn't have the time to prepare that we did! Please keep these palces in your thoughts!

Stay safe Christi. We were supposed to be headed to Holbox today, but am glad that we evacuated when we did. Hopefully the whalesharks will be back next year!

manitou diver:
If they are going to get 7' to 8' waves on Ambergris or Caulker, I would think there would be quite alot of damage as the construction is mostly wood rather than concrete. I hope they all can evacuate in time.

Nancy

More like 20 to 30 ft when it hits. It's going to be ugly....:(

Keep us posted, Christi...we're praying for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom