Looking for women's opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h2omammal

Reaction score
I'm planning to by a semidry for my wife. We are SoCal divers and she tends to get cold in anything less than a 7mm + hooded vest. Are there any women out there with opinions on what to get her? (I'm considering a Mares semidry, since I had good experience with one for about a hundred dives).

Thanks for your opinions.

a drysuit. That's probably not what you want to hear, but I wasted some time and money on a semi-dry before I just gave up and bought a drysuit. The semi's only benefit was I didn't get the massive zipper flood when I first got in the water. Other than that it's just a thick wetsuit. I still got wet, and on the SI I was still cold. The only thing that made a difference was switching over to a drysuit. I'm much more comfortable now.

YMMV

Rachel

gotta agree with biscuit - - - drysuit!

...on a drysuit

Thanks for the quick responses! Do either of you have strong feelings about what style of drysuit, or brand? All I've used is an O'neill neoprene when I was teaching a lot here in SoCal. It was more than enough for me, but I don't get cold too easily.

Thanks again. I appreciate your opinions.

....and is quite stylish in it, I must admit.

The biggest thing about drysuits is to get one that fits properly. I bought mine for the price (a Viking Xtreme), and lucked out with the fit, but if you are going to look for a suit, try several good dive shops and try on suits from several different manufactures to find one that fits well. Then, buy your cold-blooded mate a heavy undergarment to keep her warm when in the suit. I wear a Softwear Undies suit that I got after reading about them here on the Scubaboard. I love it, and had a great experience with the gal who makes them up.

Just my $.02 worth!

h2omammal, okay I didn't have the stomach to buy a drysuit (didn't want to pay the $ or relearn how to dive), so I got an isotherm. It is great. I barely have any water come in my suit, and it's so easy to put on. The only thing is I haven't been able to locate isotherm boots, so I still bring up a ton of water. However, I am so much warmer than in my 2 pc farmer john.

nkw5:
h2omammal, okay I didn't have the stomach to buy a drysuit (didn't want to pay the $ or relearn how to dive), so I got an isotherm. It is great. I barely have any water come in my suit, and it's so easy to put on. The only thing is I haven't been able to locate isotherm boots, so I still bring up a ton of water. However, I am so much warmer than in my 2 pc farmer john.

Thanks NKW, I appreciate your feedback. I had the same experience with an Isotherm (which I still have and love), and wondered if there was a woman out there that held a similar opinion. The part about relearning how to dive is a great point, especially since Liz doesn't dive nearly as much as I do. For her 25-30 dives/year, this may well be the way to go. Thanks again!

h2omammal:
Thanks NKW, I appreciate your feedback. I had the same experience with an Isotherm (which I still have and love), and wondered if there was a woman out there that held a similar opinion. The part about relearning how to dive is a great point, especially since Liz doesn't dive nearly as much as I do. For her 25-30 dives/year, this may well be the way to go. Thanks again!

h2omammal, did you end up getting Liz the Isotherm? The more I wear mine, the more I love I it.

nkw5:
h2omammal, did you end up getting Liz the Isotherm? The more I wear mine, the more I love I it.

Thanks, NKW. Glad to hear the Isotherm is working out well for you. IMO, it's by far the best cold water alternative to a dry suit. It is really good to know that it's a good choice for a woman too! I'm holding off on buying one for Liz though, because it turns out that we'll be leaving California soon, and there's a possibility we'll be in Florida. But, if we end up in a cool water state, she'll be sporting one for certain.

h2omammal:
...on a drysuit

Thanks for the quick responses! Do either of you have strong feelings about what style of drysuit, or brand? All I've used is an O'neill neoprene when I was teaching a lot here in SoCal. It was more than enough for me, but I don't get cold too easily.

Thanks again. I appreciate your opinions.

A Drysuit Overview

As their name implies, drysuits provide the most exposure protection by keeping water away from your skin. Their warmth lies in several things: (1) the basic thermal properties of the drysuit material itself; (2) the type & amount of garments you wear under the suit. (3) how much air you put into the suit.

Wearing a drysuit is akin to wearing a big pair of sleepers: you are encased from neck to toe in the suit, with your head & hands exposed. Most suits are back entry, which means that someone has to zip you in & out of the suit. There are a few front entry or "self donning" suits and that, with their long diagonal zipper in the front, allow you to get in & out of the suit yourself.

Drysuit Material
Basically, suits fall into 2 categories: shell or neoprene. Shells can be anything from vulcanized rubber to tri-laminates (3 layers of various materials, one of which is usually nylon). Neoprenes can be the usual 1/4" closed cell or the more exotic crushed or compressed neoprene. Fit is important in either suit: you should have a full range of motion regardless of what the suit is made from.

Shells give some protection against the temperature of the outside water; however, what you wear underneath them is the determining factor in how warm you will be. You can wear anything from a t-shirt & shorts to full "woolly bears", or multiple layers of clothing. Shell materials have minimal buoyancy characteristics, so you require less weight to be neutrally buoyant.

Regular 1/4' neoprene gives you a lot of insulation against the outside water, but it also means more inherent buoyancy. Thus, you must wear more weight to be neutrally buoyant. Again, what you wear depends entirely on how warm you want to be. Like it's wetsuit cousin, 1/4" tends to be somewhat restrictive unless fitted properly. They are usually the most economically priced suits.

Crushed neoprene is a patented product from one mfg, while some others use compressed neoprene. Because all the N2 bubbles in the neoprene have been eliminated, it has very little buoyancy of its own. It is durable, flexible, and gives more insulation than tri-lams. However, since this type of product is only available through a few manufacturers, it is very expensive.

Seals
Drysuits seal at the neck & wrists. Seals are made of two materials: latex or neoprene.

Latex is suppler, conforms well to the contours of the body, is less restrictive and so easier to adapt to & fit. However, it is also more expensive than neoprene, tears easily, is higher maintenance, and has no thermal properties (colder).

Neoprene is less expensive, very forgiving of abuse, requires less maintenance, and has some thermal properties of it's own (warmer). However, it is less supple than latex (more restrictive), and thus may takes a little longer to "get used to".

Zipper
Arguably, this is the most important and most expensive part of the drysuit. If this item "goes" it is literally HUNDREDS of dollars to replace, because of its highly specialized nature. There are particular care requirements to this type of zipper, but they are minimal and easy to incorporate into your usual routine of good equipment maintenance. Like most dive gear, if you take good care of your drysuit, it will take good care of you.

Air
If you look at the 1st stage your reg, you'll see a lot of ports. ONE is HP for your gauges, all the rest are LP for your 2nd stage, octo &, BC inflator. There are usually a couple of spare LP ports that go unused. When you have a drysuit, you connect one of these spare LP ports though a separate hose (commonly referred to as a whip) to an inflator valve on the chest of the drysuit. The hose is generally run under the right arm from the 1st stage to the valve. This is how you put air into the suit to keep you warm & for buoyancy control underwater. Whether or not you use the air in the suit for buoyancy control, or the BC while underwater is purely a matter of personal preference and training. No one way is "right" or "wrong".

Air is exhausted from the suit via a separate valve, called, appropriately enough, the exhaust valve. Current suit design usually places this on the upper left arm (bicep or tricep area). This valve is adjustable in that you will be able to determine how easily & often air is purged from the suit. Although there is too much detail to go into here about how to do this, let it be said that learning to use the suit for buoyancy control is no more complicated than using your BC; in fact, some people claim it's easier. It's just a little different!

Misc.
Generally, drysuit divers tend to need about the same amount of weight as someone diving wet in 1/4" neoprene, EXCEPT if you opt for 1/4" neoprene drysuit... air+ neoprene = more weight. Also, drysuit divers tend to need/use ankle weights, although this is not always the case. When you take a drysuit course, this will be addressed by the Instructor, who will make sure you are weighted properly as well as show you how to weight yourself in various conditions (salt vs. fresh, etc.).

Needless to say, using a drysuit requires specialized instruction from someone qualified to teach it. You didn't go diving without getting certified, did you? Well the same applies to using a dry suit!

That being said, no one who dives dry ever goes back to diving wet, except in tropical waters. Its just makes diving temperate waters so much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom