Looking for Wazee Tec diving Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us are heading up to Wazee from Missouri to do some trimix training dives. We need depths from 215-250 feet. What is the best way to do these dives?

i.e. entry point, ascent and descent plans, etc...

Thanks!

Before you drive up, you might want to check. The lake was closed this week. Only temporary I'm sure but worth a call if you are coming up soon.

I have not been there in 8 or 9 years, but I assume not much has changed.

There is a boat ramp on the west end of Lake Wazee.

Once you come down the ramp (facing south), if you do a 180 and look or swim north, you'll see a buoy on the surface. It supports an ascent line that drops to 100'. At that point it steps down in approximately 50' increments as you stair step down across the old haul road out of the quarry, so another 100' or so of swimming down the steps will put you at about 250'. IIRC, the bottom is around 300'.

Even in August it's around 35 degrees below 100' so a dry suit is a must.

Panoramio - Photo of lake wazee

Descent and Ascent plans will real depend on what you are trying to teach/learn, but it might make sense to drop down the ascent line, so you know where the hard bottom is, then stair step to 200 or 250'. Coming up could be done in reverse, or to better approximate offshore conditions, you could start your ascent directly and shoot a bag from 180' or so.

It will be dark below 100' but viz is normally pretty good.

Wazee Sports Center LLC :: Home (they have lots of tech diving info)

The lake was closed because a large number of swimmers from the beach (no divers) got sick. The lake is now open again....check out the press release at the bottom of the home page here: Wazee Lake Recreation Area - Jackson County . Sounds like human fecal matter contaminated the water and people got sick. LOVELY!

Let us know how your dives go!

Below is part of what Wazee Sports sent out. As far as getting your depth can take a little bit of a swim. On the west side of the lake is the site called "The Wall" this site has a blacktop road down to the water. Straight out from here you will see a buoy, its the 100ft buoy.
I could post more information, but might not be the best idea. Don't want someone with a single 80 thinking "hey way not".
If you contact Keith at Wazee Sports he should be of great help. He also has helium, O2 and booster.

Al

Wazee News

July 17, 2012

Lake Conditions:
If you haven’t heard then you must not listen to the news. Seems have gotten plenty of coverage throughout the tri state area. Around the 4th of July beach comers were reporting being sick with flu like symptoms. They had about 2000 people at the beach on the 4th and just about that many during that week. It was found to be a contagious type of virus. They then closed the beach leaving the rest of the lake open. No divers reported to be sick, all were in the beach area on and around the 4th. They have tested the lake on Monday and will reopen later this week if the test results are good. They feel the sun and heat will take care of the problem.
I have been in contact with some divers that were hear diving that week and they all had no problems.

A lake contaminated with feces, just what you want to hear when you go diving. :| I'll be heading that way in about 2.5 weeks. Hopefully it doesn't get shutdown again and the problem clears.

Article on contamination if anyone is interested. Feces causes illnesses at Lake Wazee | News - Home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom