looking for warm "under wetsuit layer"....please advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive with the new Scubapro Everflex 5mm 2014 model + 1mm neoprene shirt.
Looking for a thin and full "under wetsuit" warmer solution

any suggestions ? :)

Thermalution Heated Undersuit -70M (Shortsleeve)

My wife uses one of these for 4 to 6 hour long dives at the BHB Marine Park....she needs it for the last 3 hours....The heated shirts work great.

A cost effective alternative: Heat Packs, Hot Packs, Instant Heat Packs, Quantum Heat Pack, Reusable Heat Packs, Portable Heat Packs, Instant Hot Packs, Quantum Heat, Reusable Hot Pack, Portable Hot Pack, Heat Pack Chemistry, Instant Hot Pack, Reusable Heat Pack, Quantum Heat Pac

Edit: If you opt for this solution, you can not use these against bare skin. I built 3mm neoprene pockets and that worked well. It allowed me to dive 49 degrees in a 5mm suit for a little over 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Layers do give you some options for dealing with various water temperatures. The Lavacore and Sharkskin suits work very well under a wetsuit, weigh less than equivalent neoprene and are neutrally buoyant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"under wetsuit layer" == bare skin (not bear skin or BARE skin - just your birthday suit...) You do not need 2 layers. Pick 1 layer that fits your needs. And use it.

As a warm water diver, I often see divers donning 2or 3 layers of ill fitting suits in their feeble attempts to stay warm.

I laugh at them in my 7mm shorty. 1 layer. werks...

I have a Lavacore farmer john. They call it a sleeveless full suit. I have worn it (with Lavacore socks and a regular neoprene skirted hood) under a 7mm suit in 52 degree water and (just the farmer john) under a 3/2 suit in 72 degree water and been very comfortable both ways. I was almost too warm in the 72 degree water, actually.

I think having a good undergarment is a good way to go. I have that, a 3/2 suit and a 7mm suit and I can wear the suits alone or combine as needed to be comfortable in pretty much any conditions up to the point of needing a dry suit. I have less money in all that than if I'd bought a 5mm suit instead, and it lets me be comfortable in colder water than I could be with just a 7mm suit alone.

If you want a good deal on Lavacore stuff, my local shop has stopped carrying Lavacore, so they are blowing out their remaining stock for cheap. As a comparison, my farmer john would have been $180 from LeisurePro and it was $105 from my local shop.

Their website is Coral Edge Adventures. Ignore the prices for LC stuff on their website. Those prices are "regular" price. Call the shop to get the sale price on anything you might want. I'm pretty sure they'll have no problem taking a phone order and then shipping it to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom