Looking for Vulcanized Drysuit Similar to Nokia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We went diving a couple of weekends ago, and one of the instructors had a Nokia drysuit that he had purchased many years previous. He explained that Nokia had sold their drysuit business and were no longer making them. He said he dives with his frequently and it was still in perfect shape, so it seemed like a good investment.

Does anyone know of another company that produces a vulcanized drysuit that would be comparable to the Nokia one?

From the research I've done, the USIA Pro-AM and the Viking Pro are two suits that look similar, but am wondering if anyone out there knows of others and has advice.

Thanks!

This might be helpful...

just purchased a used Nokia Baltic dry suit and I have been looking for information on this item. I would like some info on the Care and Maintenance of this item along with the manufacurer's contact info. I can not find any info on the web except for Nokia Phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken L.

Dear Ken,

A similar question was posted on a UK
board and you may be interested in this recent reply ------

"Posted by Bjorn on 11:44:48 04/06/2004:

In Reply to: Nokia Drysuit posted by Jeff Clayton on 01:55:3506/01/2004:

Hi Jeff. The Nokia Diving suit company was sold to Trelleborg/ Viking and they produced the Nokia suits in Sweden for some time, but not now.
You can not find any new Nokia, only Viking Pro from Sweden or the almost similar Hunter ( Gates) PRO AM 1050.
Best regards
Bjorn Carlsson

Diving equipment from Sweden
http://www.dyk-brand.se
Dyk & Brand Service AB

: I am looking for details on Nokia Safety Equipment Ltd. drysuits... I have one and want to know more about it. It was made in finland.

: Regards,

: Jeff "

It seems that some years ago Nokia sold off all its manufacturing businesses and concentrated on
mobile phones. If you go to their website you can
see this under "history". It's a pity for divers that
they stopped production but they seem to have
made more money from mobiles!

If you go to the Dyk & Brand website you can
download a Trelleborg Viking .pdf on the use of
the Viking drysuit - which as Bjorn from Dyk &
Brand indicated is similar to the Nokia.

Best Wishes,

Sixtiesdiver.

Viking Pro 1000 and Hunter PRO-AM are real pro suits but not as flexible as sport suits from Nokia. Concerning flexibility, Viking Pro Tech will be the best choice among vulcanized drysuits.

Thanks for the excellent responses and info. I was able to attend the DUI dog days rally this weekend, and was able to try drysuit diving for the first time. I definitely am going to get one, now.

The one I tried was one of their cordura nylon trilam ones... it was very dry and seemed comfortable and durable.

One of the divers in our group had another brand of trilam drysuit, and experienced a leak. He was able to repair it, but the glue took many hours to dry before he could dive it again.

With the vulcanized ones, you can patch them using the drysuit instant cement and patch material, and be diving in like 5 or 10 minutes. That has a lot of appeal, too, as you wouldn't have to end your diving for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom