Looking for Suggestion to Expand Diving Experience. Have Advanced with 35 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABLAB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've got my advanced, 35 logged dives, and Nitrox certified. All my dives are in the Carribean. Looking to expand my diving experience. Been down to 110 feet several times with no issues and have done a couple of proper shark dives at 80 feet. I have an eye on Socorro but not sure if I'm quite there experience wise. Feel very comfortable under water with decent trim and have already had to deal with a couple of small incidents and did not lose my cool. But, have not dived in strong currents and deep blue. Would appreciate any suggestions as to spots where I can gain some experience diving in currents and deep blue. Was thinking Gordo Banks off Cabo would be a good start.

i will wait for socoroo. Did you consider to visit roatan,utila, or bonaire ?

cheers

i will wait for socoroo. Did you consider to visit roatan,utila, or bonaire ?

cheers
How does Bonaire fit this question in the OP?
"Would appreciate any suggestions as to spots where I can gain some experience diving in currents and deep blue."

You're right to want to get out of the Caribbean to get more experience. When I was in your position I got up to 50 dives in the Caribbean then booked a Red Sea liveaboard (many have a 50 dive requirement). Once you're comfortable with your buoyancy and weighting the Red Sea or the Maldives will be a good choice. The Red Sea especially attracts a lot of European divers with minimal experience due to proximity so the dive guides know how to handle a group with a wide range of experience.

Actually all my dives and certifications are in Roatan. Find it a great place to learn, try out gear, maximize dives, and it does have some nice diving. Was just there for Labor Day.

Been looking at Florida and North Carolina but lot of those dives are unguided so I'm hesitant. And, to actually dive with a guide gets pricey from what I've seen. Would appreciate some info on those FL buddy dives.

Thanks.

Actually have an eye on the Red Sea. But, have heard conflicting stories by people who've been there. Some enjoyed it and others thought it was too crowded and a little unsafe given the number of boats and divers in the water. Guess, it depends on the outfit and time of year. But, definitely something that I'm looking into.

Actually all my dives and certifications are in Roatan. Find it a great place to learn, try out gear, maximize dives, and it does have some nice diving. Was just there for Labor Day.

Been looking at Florida and North Carolina but lot of those dives are unguided so I'm hesitant. And, to actually dive with a guide gets pricey from what I've seen. Would appreciate some info on those FL buddy dives.

Thanks.
Most of the operators in Palm Beach and Jupiter in SE FL put a guide in the water, Boynton Beach, no. Some operators in Key Largo put a guide in the water. Sounds like that is an important variable for you at the current time, hope you become an independent diver. You can DM me for advice for SE FL

Most of the operators in Palm Beach and Jupiter in SE FL put a guide in the water, Boynton Beach, no. Some operators in Key Largo put a guide in the water. Sounds like that is an important variable for you at the current time, hope you become an independent diver. You can DM me for advice for SE FL
Appreciate it. Will probably take you up on it....

I’d totally recommend Florida’s Atlantic Coast.

There are some super charters that’ll quickly but smoothly get you up to speed with drift diving. Drift dives are nothing to be intimidated by.

Guides are provided on the charters in Palm Beach and Jupiter. Go to the Florida sub-forum and see the two threads there that have great info.

Plenty of sealife to see.

Plenty of well-stocked dive shops.

Great options for lodging and dining.

Only thing Florida doesn’t have are wall dives but that doesn’t sound like a requirement for you at this stage.

Enjoy the research and planning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom