Looking for Something Else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thmoose51

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Everbody,

First off I am full cave and have done some stage diving with 80's and 40's. So far all my diving has been with at least one other diver in my team and I have loved every minute of it. However, I am looking for something more and I seem to be most at peace in my life when I am in a cave. I have a camper and am seriously considering gong to Ginnie for a week and camping and diving with someone if possible or alone if I can't find anyone to dive with. If I do dive alone my thoughts are to dive an 80 to around 500 psi to explore the cave and then exit on back gas. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I have always been somewhat of a loner and the idea of just being in a cave by myself is very appealing. I do want to do things as safe as possible and hope to hear from some of you. I expect this is something I will do and am looking forward hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Plan you dive and dive your plan. You have to determine the amount of gas you need to do the dive safely with contingancy in mind weather with a buddy or solo.

I am not a caver so my planning is different (no overhead enviro) and I will admit that I drain my tanks more solo than with a buddy as I only have to worry about myself. I do though always have a full 30cft pony with me which is strictly bailout and the surface above me. Keep that one in mind, no direct access to the surface, the more air the better.
Otherwise, happy diving

First, if you have to ask about solo cave diving on this forum, I would think twice before doing it. In cave diving, the only backup you can't carry with you is a spare brain. That said, it doesn't mean that it can't be done with a modicum of safety.

I would suggest you get at least your Abe Davis and address this on a more appropriate forum, i.e. Cave Diver's Forum - Powered by vBulletin

FWIW, most solo cave divers use the back gas and keep the buddy bottle for real emergencies. Controlling a reg problem with the stage in front of you is a simpler task..

Dale

This really is the wrong forum for this question. Talk to your cave instructor.

Tom

Thanks everybody for all your responses.

B1gcountry and bletso, I read the "Attention" sticky before I posted my question and I could have sworn this was absolutely the appropriate forum to be posting on. The forum is titled Solo Divers and does not specify the location or conditions of the dive. Unfortunately, the attitude that I sense in your response seem to permeate internet forums and can be quite discouraging to those who are genuinely interested in a particular area. The talk to your instructor part is certainly good advice but the part about the post being inappropriate for this forum is wrong and doesn't help.

Wayne

This is NOT the forum for SOLO CAVE DIVING. If you are indeed cave certified, you should know that.

Team cave diving carries a much higher risk than does OW solo diving due to the overhead environment. There are also risk calculations for safer, (less risky) venues for OW solo diving as well.

If you will refer to my two previous threads on solo diving articles, you will have an opportunity to get some input to the special nature of solo diving in OW. It is not about some ones' just wanting to go it alone. There should be a real cost/benefit analysis done on any dive, especially solo. Believe me, gear does malfunction, no matter how well it is maintained.... I have had all sorts of visits by Mr. Murphy over the years, in and out of caves, with and without a buddy around.

I don't think either of us is trying to be negative, and you shouldn't take it as such. It is just our POV's. Mine is based on years of experience and over 1000 dives done the hard way. i.e. Cold nasty quarries and lakes in the hinterland, interspersed with the occasional nice water/vis dive trip.

Like b1Gcountry, I am also an instructor and I am an IT with TDI/SDI

Go ahead and take the challenge and join the cave diving forum. There are cave divers who do know how to do it and survive. (The ones who didn't survive of course can render no advice. (BTW, there was a fatality just last week of a solo cave enthusiast):( )

Dale

thmoose,

I'm not sure what you are wanting. Could you be more specific?

Are you wanting us to tell you that it's ok? Only YOU can answer that question.

I was not complaining about you posting here, but what you are wanting to do, for the most part, is far beyond the experience level of anyone who would reply to your post in this forum. Most likely, you will get answers from people you probably should not take advice from. It is not outside the intentions of this forum, but for the most part, the discussions in this forum do not deal with very advanced diving.

Tom

Hemlon,

Here is a partial quote from the sticky posted at the top of this forum.

"The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. "

That is what I was hoping for. Some of the advice given is good and gives me resources to explore and things to consider. I don't want to sound unappreciative but there is nothing in the sticky that says solo cave questions are not allowed and I still don't think I am outside the bounds of this forum. bletso, you say you weren't being negative. I'll take you at your word and thanks for your advice.

Wayne

Hemlon,

Here is a partial quote from the sticky posted at the top of this forum.

"The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. "

That is what I was hoping for. Some of the advice given is good and gives me resources to explore and things to consider. I don't want to sound unappreciative but there is nothing in the sticky that says solo cave questions are not allowed and I still don't think I am outside the bounds of this forum. bletso, you say you weren't being negative. I'll take you at your word and thanks for your advice.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the clarification. I only have a thimble-full of cave experience but I would imagine that IF you are asking for how-to info for cave diving, you might want to take a self-assessed skills check.

In any case, I hope you get what you seek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom