Looking for some help with my boat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmfg17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, get a drink and a snack first. Sit back and prepare for my sob story. It all starts about 6 weeks ago. A co-worker/friend of my girlfriend sells us a his 23ft 1997 Caravelle walkaround. It is equipped with a 200HP Evinrude. Both the boat and the engine have 266hrs. We go for the test ride and all seems well. I had SouthEastern Marine in St Petersburg, perform an inspection and they give it the clean bill of health. So, Sheila and I purchase the boat.

Four days later, my buddy and I after working 12 hrs all night, decide to take the boat out for the maiden voyage with me at the helm. We launch out of south tampa and go to the Skyway for some fishing. The boat seems to be doing good. But after about 45 min at the Skyway, it doesn't seem to be running too good. So, we start heading back. The whole way back we are losing power. Then the motor quits and won't restart. I try several times with no luck. I perform the basic diagnostic check and can't figure out the problem. I call SeaTow and 2 hours later they get to us and tow us back to the launch. ($740 tow bill, but I had just purchased a membership earlier in the week so it was free) Oh, and the tilt motor goes out also. What a day!!!

Now you can imagine my anger/frustration at the situation. Just 4 days ago SouthEastern Marine said the boat was tip top. Now, I'm getting towed into shore. Well, I load the boat up on the trailer and off to SouthEastern Marine I go. The next day they call me and tell me the boat needs a flywheel. New part is $900 but they find me a rebuilt part for $250 with 90 day warranty. The new trim motor was $276. I chose the rebuilt flywheel. After the flywheel and tilt motor were put in the bill came to $900. We tell the previous owner of our misfortune and frustration and he is in disbelief. After some lengthy conversations, he agrees to pay for half.

Ok, I get the boat back on Thursday evening and work all weekend. Monday morning me and the same buddy load the boat up with ice and fuel and head off to Sarasota for some spearfishing. We launch and make it no further than 800-1000 meters and start losing power fast. I immediately recognize this scenario and start limping the boat back towards shore. This time it dies about 30meters from the launch. We jumped in the water and used the anchor line and pulled the boat into the launch by hand. So, again I loaded the boat up and went back to SouthEastern Marine. Now, you can really imagine how upset I am. I let them know how frustrated I am with both them and the previous owner. I could not figure out how they could give the boat a claean bill of health, take $900 from me to fix the boat, and I still don't have a boat that runs. They assure me they will fix the problem. The next day they call me again and tell me it was a defectice rebuilt flywheel. They find another one and install it. They take it for a test ride and the boat dies again on them. They finally diagnose it as a bad upper bearing and bent main shaft. Now they want another $4,000 to re-build the motor. The previous owner and I discuss this problem and he agrees to pay half. I tell him I don't want the boat and he tells me TOUGH LUCK!!! However, he still agrees to pay for half. I don't know if the previous owner or SouthEastern Marine are bamboozilig me. But it seems like one or both of them are crooked. I'm having a hard time swallowing this pill but I guess I have too.

Now, if anybody knows of a GOOD/Trustworthy marine mechanic in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area, please let me know. I'm at the peak of my frustration level.

Sorry this is such a long post but I am really frustrated. Thanks for reading and for any help.

J.R.

Try posting over at "the hull truth" forum, there are a lot of people over there that know their stuff. That diagnosis doesn't sound right.

I would want a better explaination about how a bad upper bearing and bent main shaft would cause this symptom. I don't see it personally. This has the feel of an electrical or fuel fault - something that fails only when hot. Hard to diagnose without running the motor up to temperature.

You can only figure out who is to blame once you figure out what the problem really is. i.e. should the marine guys have picked it up - or did the previous owner know about it when he sold you the boat.

It is really hard for the marine guys to pick up intermittant faults on a "how is this boat" kind of look. You can only pick up the most obvious of faults and see in general how the boat has been maintained on that kind of look.

Rule of thumb when buying a boat - expect to spent 10% of the purchase price immediately on fixing it. Then expect to spend that again (or more) every year you own it.

i would start with a new mechanic,it sounds like a electrical glitch to me. finding a good marine mechanic can be challenging sometimes,but if you find one stay with them and dont let them get away.

4G to rebuild an outboard? Man I'd find a different place. I picked up a complete 454 for that. Tell em to suk it!

Good news for you!

We had the EXACT same problem. Hubby was able to figure out what it was ....you won't believe it. It's VERY simple and you can fix it yourself. Our neighbor had the same problem and was misdiagnosed over and over as well.

PM me or my hubby (he is jlwest63 on here) and he'll give you his phone number!

Were you going to share it with the rest of us?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom