Looking for some guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently returned from my first actual dive vacation which has confirmed my desire to go pro. However, I'm just a little unsure of the direction of my next step so I thought I'd reach out for some help. Here's some info about me:

Started diving in Jan. '11
AOW cert (30 logged dives)
Nitrox cert
EFR course completed (Jan. '11)
I've done an intro to Tech Diving dive
Dived in Guam and Philippines (Malapascua)

I know that experience is top priority and I plan on taking at least one more dive trip before I start down the Pro route - a different place than the two I've been. I currently live in S. Korea so it will more than likely be somewhere in Southeast Asia.

I won't start my Dive Masters Course until (the very earliest) October 2012 - this is when my current work contract is up.

It seems like there are countless places offering training out there - some lasting only a couple weeks and some a few months. I want the best education I can get. I've heard of Hall's Diving Academy and it seems highly priced. I've heard of places to intern and they pay for your course, housing, etc. I've heard you have to watch out for places that make you fill tanks the whole time. I've heard of other places that rush you through their program.

Time isn't a factor for me, I'm more concerned about the education/training I'm going to receive. I'm also wondering if I should be looking for places in temperate climates (because of my previous experience and it's the environment I'd like to work in) or if I should train somewhere colder to have more rounded training.

I've been told that some employers don't give a lot of credit to someone who has been trained in Southeast Asia.

Basically, I've heard a lot and it's been a bit confusing. I've been doing research, and still continue to, but like I said it seems like there is so much out there. So, any guidance or recommendations are much appreciated. Also, if you have any places you would recommend or another place I can look for information on Dive Master Training I would also thank you.

Cheers in advance!

First you need to decide what is your ultimate goal with your diving career. Is it just to be a DM i.e. lead dives, teach basic courses or go onto to be a full instructor? Do you want to work in a shop? Also, you still need to take your rescue course first before you start your DM; so plan on that cost and time taking that course.

My advice is to get out there an dive first and foremost; I started with 150 dives logged and have logged over 60 plus in the last two months. I am currently taking my DM course and I have been doing it for two months now and still have a lot to finish before I get my certification. Being a DM is an investment in yourself and do not sell yourself short.

You want to become a very comfortable diver yourself before you start taking responsibility for other divers. Dive, dive, dive as much as you can. Learn everything you can about being a safe and competent diver. Think about what could go wrong in any given dive scenario and come up with at least two options to address the problems. When you are ready to go for your DM, do the training in the environment in which you'll be working. Taking a plush course in a tropical climate, only to return to frigid waters and low vis will do nothing to prepare you to be a competent pro. Knowing your environment and the problems that can arise will make you the best pro you can be. Good luck!

I should have mentioned that, sorry for the exclusion.

I plan to take the IDC and I'd like to be an instructor. I'd like to explore different specialties and see which one I like the most before I decide exactly where my career will go.

I have a copy of the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving which I plan to start in on shortly as I hear there's quite a lot of info to be learned (and then, as I mentioned in my previous post, begin the course no earlier than October 2012).

I could be mistaken, but you don't have to necessarily have to have your Rescue Diver completed - I'm thinking of the zero to hero courses. But then again, I don't know much about that route either.

I won't have a job during my training so I'll be able to focus everything on the course - but like I said, I'm not gearing up to fly through it in a couple of weeks. I want the best training/education/experience I can get.

I agree with Sotgecho & your plan, decide how far you plan to go & get experience first. Some sort of Rescue course (first aid, CPR & with some agencies also Oxygen provider) & a minimum of 60 dives, is a prerequisite for all agencies. Then start interviewing potential instructors. Don't go by price. Go by course information given that you see being the best quality education & then also the compatibility of the instructor's teaching style that works best for you.

I've been told that some employers don't give a lot of credit to someone who has been trained in Southeast Asia.

I don't think this is true. S.E. Asia is cheaper than some other regions, and therefore attracts a lot of numbers. Some other regions are jealous of these numbers and find reasons to bad mouth it. S.E. Asia is where the best diving is, IMO - it has great diversity and the Coral Triangle etc. - and with low costs is very popular. This means lots of dive centres, and sure there will be some that offer less than perfect training... Just make sure you research your options well, there are some very experienced and very good instructors and dive centres in the region too.

I could be mistaken, but you don't have to necessarily have to have your Rescue Diver completed

Rescue is a pre-requisite for DM training, but you can do it immediately before you start the DM course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom