Looking for So Cal buddy..pre Turkey Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, we are discussing going the Saturday after, 11/27. I am roasting the bird at home again this year, and there is all that prep work/cleanup...I will need a break, not to mention a good calorie burner.

Mo2vation:
Do not be fooled. Putting the cost aside to get to, you know, an Island - the diving is not remotely comparable.

Again, removing costs from the equasion, its night and day. The atmosphere, the entries and exits, the clarity of the water, the conditions of the dive, the abundance of life and other things to see, the actual time enjoying the dive - the two (OCal shore dive and Cat Dive Park) are not even in the same league. The only thing they share is the salty pacific. After that, forget about it.

Measure the true costs (parking, lunch, fills, rental gear, transportation), then measure the entire day's experience (getting there, stress, exertion, time in water v out of warer, atmosphere, post dive hang, etc.) and bounce that against the quality of the diving. You'll quickly see that Catalina costs more, but is a much, much better value and will deliver more fun. Especially if you're a visitor. What's not cool about going to an island for a day?

You can't even put the two on the same page.

Ken

I have to agree with Ken. Spend the extra bucks, it's absolutely worth it.

RE: the extra bucks, I was drinking coffee and reading the travel section in the LA Times this morning, and it looks like Drew might be in luck. The Express is offering $7.50 off each Mon-Thurs adult R/T (up to 4 people) through 11/24 with a coupon. Coupons are available in the paper or downloadable from the previously mentioned website. I checked the website, and indeed there is a link off the right side of the home page. Well, that almost covers gear haul...

Thanks for all the great info! Appreciate the Links to the discount KM!
Ken-My last few dives here in monterey have had horrid vis..only3-5 ft max... so was loking for some better vis and just a nice mini-vacation day! Looks like Catalina is for me! Not to worried about $$ just want a nice dive or two and a relaxing day!

Socal diver if you guys are able to go...that would be great!

Just one last ? I have all my gear except a tank...no fills at the park on Wed? Rent two tanks and avoid the return trip for a fill?
Must see sites in the park..?

Thanks again! You guys are great!
Drew

After the summer season has gone bye bye, the trailer at the point where you would get your fills is closed during the weekdays. Only open on weekends. Personally, if I was going to rent a tank I would do just one and then walk it back to the green pier and get another. It helps pass your SI and you can also grab a munchie or two in town as well.

Still not sure about next week and what my schedule will be. Holiday season has us quite busy. I have worked everyday since Monday a week ago and am scheduled up until Thursday so far this week. By next week I will be ready for some R & R.

Sounds like an awsome SI. Keep in mind you just hauled all your gear on board the boat, then hauled it off the boat, and loaded it on a cab to drive to the point. Now after a single dive you have to walk your tank back into town and get it filled.
Where do I sign up? :)

I'd definitely consider some shore dives or do a really nice boat dive (WAY better diving) for the same price and way less hassle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom