Looking for site suggestions and Dec dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metalheadluigi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m going to be spending a few days in the LA area around the Holidays in December and would like to set aside some time to dive 1 or 2 of the local sites. I figure anything from Malibu to the OC is fair game. I currently dive around the Monterey/Carmel kelp forests and am comfortable with cold water shore dives to moderate depths (<75ft) with visibility in the 5ft-30ft range. I’m hoping to meet up with someone willing to show a fellow cold-water diver around the local sites. Most of my dives have been shore dives with sandy entries in light to moderate surf. My biggest concern about a lot of SoCal sites is that many seem to have rocky entries that I imagine are difficult to navigate in anything greater than light surf.

From the research I’ve been doing, most of the interesting life available to shore divers is out and about shallower than 60ft. I’ve been using SB and the following site (Southern California's Best Beach Scuba Diving Sites) to narrow down good options. I’d love to check out somewhere where I could see any or all of the following on a dive: Garibaldi, Sheepshead, Octopus, Giant Sea Bass, colorful nudibranchs. Any suggestions or personal favorite sites?

I’m open to diving December 26-29. Alternatively, should I look into hiring a DM for these dives instead?

Hmm...for Nudis you cannot beat the reefs off Palos Verde, look at Teranea for shore access.

I would highly recommend the Dive Park in Avalon for GSB.

And for a good chance of seeing everything on your list Laguna Beach cannot be beat. everyone's favorite first dive is Shaws and then look at Crescent Bay (Deadmans Reef) and Heisler Park North (longer swims).

PM me at darkthirtydiver@gmail.com a few days before you arrive and you can join one of my dives. Also check out the Pacific Wilderness FB page. They post Sat/Sun dives there every week.

J. Reeb (@dark_thirty_divers) • Instagram photos and videos

Dark-Thirty Divers

Thanks for the reply/suggestions. I'll reach out in a few weeks and see if we can coordinate something.

Hey Metal H.
The Dive park and Catalina Island are always fun. Maybe try a dive boat out of long beach or San Pedro, No surf, hot meals, and warm bunk, lots to see above and below- Bring a camera.
SoCalRich

Thanks for the reply SoCalRich,

I'm likely going to be diving Anacapa on the 30th. I was hoping for shore diving suggestions for the days before. With that being said, that makes at least 2 recs for the Dive Park, so maybe I should think about making some time to check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom