looking for reg help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twenman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at getting a new reg for ice diving and wreck diving. $400-600 range, looking for a versatile warm and cold water reg

Looking at getting a new reg for ice diving and wreck diving. $400-600 range, looking for a versatile warm and cold water reg

Beaverdivers sells scubapro mk17-g250v now for less than 400

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

Beaverdivers sells scubapro mk17-g250v now for less than 400

My personal choice is the Mares Abyss 22 Navy. Can be found for low to mid $500s. But I stress that it's a personal preference - you're going to get a slew of recommendations. So go to your favorite LDS and compare.

The Scubapro MK17/G250V is an excellent cold & warm water reg.

Hog Regs D1 or D2 both come in coldwater, and are very reasonably priced. So instead of just getting a first and second stage, you can get your octo too. Or if you were trading something in, an authorized "Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis" dealer can get you a discount, and you'd have free service kits for life.

Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services - click the link to see the HOG singles kit.

HOG D-1 cold. 1st stage, 2 (yes two) balanced adjustable second stages, hoses, DIN/Yoke adapter and bolt snap. Assembled and bench tested. under $450.00

And if you want it in yoke only, the conversion kit installed when the reg is bought is an extra 40.00. If you want it done later it's 40.00 plus labor. PM me for more info.

Or buy the individual components with your choice of hose lengths. Don't be stuck with a hose that is not the length you want.

Last edited:
Hogs are chinese copies of Apeks regulators, so I would recommend you go for the original. The reason I recommend this is that Apeks has a larger distribution network and later on you will be more likely to find a local Apeks dealer. As a matter of fact I would look to see what you can get serviced locally as things have a habit of going wrong at the worst times and the last thing you want is to have to mail a regulator back to someone when a dive or trip are coming up.

My personal choice is the APEKS XtX 200. I have dove it in warm water (Guam) and also in cold water (Alaska in both fresh and salt for 5 years) Never had a issue with it. Now I own 4 of them.

Hogs are chinese copies of Apeks regulators

That accusation has been nullified by the owner of HOG right here on ScubaBoard.

I understand the notion to want to get your regs serviced somewhere locally.
I would suggest, however, speaking with the owner or tech at your LDS for realistic turn around times on regulator repair & servicing. Most of the LDSs in my area offer service on many brands of regulators but are only authorized to service one brand in house. With that knowledge I made the final choice to go with HOG. It takes the same amount of time, if not less, to send my regs in for service to Jim Lapenta at UDM than it would to have them serviced "locally." Just something I ran into that may help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom