looking for recommendations to snorkel with dolphins in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are headed to Kona in late August/early September. We are planning on doing a lot of diving both boat and shore. I would also like to snorkel with wild dolphins and there are a bunch of companies that offer morning charters. I was wondering if they all have about the same luck with spotting and snorkeling with them. Most of their websites say that they find them 95%-98% of the time. I would really appreciate any suggestion or shared experiences with snorkeling with wild dolphins in Kona.

Thresa,

Your question may strike a nerve with many of the folks here on the Big Island. Many of us who live here have a negative view of those who bother the dolphins along our coast. The tours ops are here, but are far from positively regarded. They rank almost as low as the aquarium fish collectors among those seeking to profit from the resources of the Big Island reefs.

The common dolphin along the Kona and Kohala coasts are the spinners. There a several large pods here, some numbering into the hundreds of animals. These dolphins forage at night in the deep water miles offshore. They sleep and rest in protected bays and waters nearshore during the day. They need that rest, a chance to sleep and recuperate from the demands of hunting in the depths. Snorkelers, kayakers and boats disturbing that rest can damage the health of the dolphins.

Anyone who is in the water regularly along this coast gets caught up in a pod of spinner dolphins sooner or later. I have been there, an awesome experience. But there is a big difference between them coming to you versus going to them. My opinion on the issue is to leave them be, and reconsider supporting any business that makes a practice of harassing the dolphins.

Andrew, thanks for your reply and informing me about the disturbances of a guided dolphin snorkel. From visiting the various operators’ websites I would have never guessed that this could be such a problem. They make it sound as though the dolphins choose and enjoy the interactions and that they are never harassed. I certainly don’t want to be a part of disturbing the wildlife. Hopefully this thread will inform others as well. I appreciate you taking the time to better inform me.

In my opinion, this is a bit of a complicated issue. I can see both sides. Humans simply disrupt the environment as we carry about our daily lives and interact with nature. Snorkelers, scuba divers, trop collectors, sport fishermen, hikers, etc. We always have an impact. If you go to the zoo, sea world, the Hilton dolphin experience...you are supporting a far more sinister business...Of course, this is my opinion and I fully respect other people's opinion. There are guidelines in place for viewing dolphins. (Don't know why you can drag a marlin through the water for hours of fun and torture...but you can't swim near a dolphin...but, whatever...) Most of the companies do their best to follow these guidelines. After all, they do really like and respect the dolphins. It gets tempting to get customers a little closer...or customers themselves swim too aggressively and so infringement on the regulations does happen. It's an interesting topic. Over and over again animals such as immature sport fish and "teenager" sharks of all kinds are brought into the marina for people to have their pictures taken with them. Then what happens to these animals? A huge barracuda was brought in the other day...and I guarantee it wasn't eaten...just dragged through the water, photos taken...then dumped. I never hear much about it. Bottom line...I hate seeing five boats following a pod of dolphins...that's NOT a good thing. But it CAN be done responsibly. Just like I support strict regulation of trop collecting...but I don't necessarily think it has to be abolished completely...there are people out there who have been earning a living doing it for 30-40 years. Sorry for the rant.

Too much expectation is placed on the swimming with part of the tour and not the education and observation part. Everyone has this expectation that they will get some type of marine land experience. What generally appears to happen is that the boat goes to a bay were the animals are seen regularly. The boat drives around till the dolphins are attracted. The animals come over to the boat and as the driver slows down the animals lose interest and swim off. The people are put in the water and paddle around here and there looking for the dolphins. The driver gets them back on the boat after they are tired and tries the whole thing over till the tour has to leave to be back at the shop. This opinion was formed from observations of the operators that go to the mooring field area off Kona over the course of 18 months. The operators would start off by putting the people in the required distance but as the time went on, and I'm sure the people were frustrated by the fact that the animals weren't as close as they thought they would be, the operators would start to put them in closer to the animals. You would see it with the whales, but to a lesser extent. Any time money is involved, the best interest of the animal seems to takes a back seat. Any of the swim with programs are valuable educational tools if used correctly. Making a buck has to take a back seat in these cases.

And there is the rub, customer expectations and the desire to stay in business eventually dominate the ethical side of the interaction. I have not had a chance to really watch the behavior of a dolphin tour lately, but I have watched the whale cruises north of Kawaihae. Several boats charging off after a pod, with the 100yard limit regularly broken. The commercial tours add load to the situation, with a lot of pressure on the animals.

It is very uncommon for boats in Kona to approach within 100 yards of humpbacks. I am out on the water all the time off Kona. If you see boats within that limit, there is the possibility that the boat stopped appropriately and the whales ended up changing direction and approaching the boat. Yes, it does happen...and not infrequently. Sometimes you see things that aren't what they appear. I'm not saying rules don't get broken. I'm just saying don't judge the entire local industry or marine mammal tours as a whole based on what you saw in one area. Also, "research" can often find exactly what the researcher is looking for. I think you'd be hard pressed to actually prove that local dolphins in Hawaii have been negatively impacted by tours. Just my opinion...and I do understand the other side of the issue.

Or you could bypass the entire boat thing and rent some snorkel gear or a kayak and head out to Ho'okena or Honaunau. I've seen em at both and depending on your snorkeling you are much less bothersome that a grip a gangly aquanewbies.

Just my thoughts...... either way, enjoy.

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom