Looking for recent Costa Rica Dive Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFScuba

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I've spent the past week sorting through all the threads on Costa Rica. My wife are planning on being there towards the end of May (rainy season) and diving up in the Guancaste are(sp?). So far, I've found postings on the following dive operators with the usual mix of good and bad:

* Rich Coast Diving - Playas del Coco
* Bill Beard's- Playas del Coco and Hermosa
* Ocotal Diving - Ocotal Beach
* Deep Blue Diving Adventures - Playas del Coco
* AqauCenter - Playas Flamingo

Has anyone used any of therse operators in the past 6-12 months? There are the usual good and bad reviews and I was hoping for info from someone that has been out recently. Also, we're only bringing mask/snorkel/computers. So, we we're interested in an operator that has fairly good rental gear.

We're both novice divers (<10 dives). OW Cert last year in Monterey, CA and some dives in Hawaii while on vacation. I've read the Bat and Catalinas Island reviews for dives. It sounds like Bat Island is out (more of an advance dive). Any opinions on Catalinas for novice divers?

The plan is a week in Costa Rice with 2 or 3 dive days. Also, any recommendations on a good place to stay if we are looking for beach time and other activities?

Also, any recommendations on money? (Exchanging, acceptance of dollars, are credit cards taken at most places?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I've used Deep Blue Diving in Playa del Coco, and have also used Ocotal Diving...not within the past 6-12 months though. I do say that both were very good the times i've used them..with no problems at all. though Deep Blue Diving is a bit cheaper than Ocotal Diving. I had dove Bat Island & Catalina Island when I had just gotten certified and I had no problem. A good place to stay that I recommend to stay at since i've stayed there multiple times is a place down the road from Deep Blue and it's called www.FlordeItabo.com it's a very clean/cheap place and the people are very nice I believe they also offer diving if i'm correct. The rate exchange right now is at about $1.00 for 436 + colones...though the dollar is accepted everywhere same as credit cards. well, if you have any more question..dont' hesitate to ask. Good Luck

SFScuba:
Hi all,

I've spent the past week sorting through all the threads on Costa Rica. My wife are planning on being there towards the end of May (rainy season) and diving up in the Guancaste are(sp?). So far, I've found postings on the following dive operators with the usual mix of good and bad:

* Rich Coast Diving - Playas del Coco
* Bill Beard's- Playas del Coco and Hermosa
* Ocotal Diving - Ocotal Beach
* Deep Blue Diving Adventures - Playas del Coco
* AqauCenter - Playas Flamingo

Has anyone used any of therse operators in the past 6-12 months? There are the usual good and bad reviews and I was hoping for info from someone that has been out recently. Also, we're only bringing mask/snorkel/computers. So, we we're interested in an operator that has fairly good rental gear.
I do not want to hijack this thread, but I am also planning a family vacation to Costa Rica over the next Holiday Season, so any additional advice would be welcome. My son and I are seasoned divers, and are hoping to go to some of the more "advanced" spots around Drake Bay etc. We will probably have a rental car, and be touring the country for 2-2.5 weeks, staying at different places along the way.

Thanks already.

Drake Bay is really good diving..I haven't been there personally but I have a cousin that has dove there and he say's it's great diving. I'll be diving there hopefully next yr. along with Coco's Island. I could say that I believe that you can only get so far by car to Drake then you have to take a boat to the island...i could be wrong but that is what i've heard from my cousin and other's.

Scuba65, thanks for the info. We'll check into that hotel.

Scuba65:
Drake Bay is really good diving..I haven't been there personally but I have a cousin that has dove there and he say's it's great diving. I'll be diving there hopefully next yr. along with Coco's Island. I could say that I believe that you can only get so far by car to Drake then you have to take a boat to the island...i could be wrong but that is what i've heard from my cousin and other's.

It's my understanding that Coco Island is 300+ miles (600 KM) offshore and most people that dive it do liveaboards. http://www.cocoislandcostarica.com/

You're correct. It's only a liveaboard trip. It takes a whole day to get out there and a 1 to get back to shore. I guess it's the best diving in the world and will have to see that next yr. I can't wait.

We dove with AquaCenter in Playa Flamingo 9 months ago -- last May. No complaints about their operation.

My biggest advice, since you are also planning a trip in May, is just to make sure you understand what you are getting into. Despite our prior research, we had failed to grasp two key things: 1) the visability in the Catalina Islands is less than 20 feet, with considerable surge at times, and 2) the rainy season in Costa Rica does not mean a daily downpour, it means a downpour all day. Constant, heavy rain. Make sure you can cope happily with both!

(I don't mean to be a bummer -- as long as you are prepared, go for it -- Costa Rica is a beautiful country with rich marine life).

pigletfish:
We dove with AquaCenter in Playa Flamingo 9 months ago -- last May. No complaints about their operation...

Thanks! We've talked to friends who have gone and know what we're getting into with the weather. Also, we've read some about the low vis, but having done Cert dives in Monterey water at 55 degrees with <20 and strong surge, at least the water will be warm in Costa Rica. We probably will not decide on diving Catalinas until we're out there.

Did you stay at the Flamingo Marina Hotel when diving with Aquacenter? Just curious how the accomodations were.

We did stay at the Flamingo Marina resort -- it was quite basic but clean -- no bugs and the a/c and tv both worked just fine. We got a room with a jacuzzi on the terrace -- the water was unheated, jet action only, which has been our typical experience in Mexico and Central America. Breakfast was included, which was quite convenient before heading off each morning to dive with AquaCenter, the on-site operator. We rented most of our gear from AquaCenter and it was in good condition, no problems with it.

Playa Flamingo is a tiny town with very little to do. We rented a car and spent most of our afternoons and evenings in the larger nearby town of Playa Tamarindo. The beach in Tamarindo is a wide expanse -- it might get nice and fluffy when it's dry, but it was pretty sodden during our visit. Nice sunsets, though. We ended up in Playa del Cocos one day (it's about an hour north of Playa Flamingo) -- there's a bit going on there, but it's smaller than Playa Tamarindo.

We spent 3 days diving and then went inland (in our case to Arenal Volcano), which I think is a good combination for Coosta Rica, since it has so many land attractions.

What is the Carribean side of Costa Rica like for diving? I'm going in the beginning of May, trying to decide where to dive. Only diving one or two days of the trip. Also, has anyone ever dived Lake Nicaragua?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom