Looking for Pacific Northwest motif

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stillhope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"SEA-Inside: Pacific Northwest" is a TV series that focuses on underwater video from the PNW. I'm pretty thrilled at the videos people have contributed to the series, but I'm not satisfied with the "look" of the miscellaneous parts of the show I've used to tie the videos together, like the maps, transitions, credits, etc. I'd like them to have more of a "Pacific Northwest" feel. Right now, they're sort of neutral or maybe even dull.

I'm looking for some new motif elements, thoughts about things/symbols that might represent the PNW look -- not necessarily to divers, but to anyone. I thought of maybe surrounding the maps with a border of a wool Pendleton plaid, something like that. Having logging trucks drag the credits across the screen might be a bit too much -- but those are some examples of the sort of ideas I'm looking for.

Does that get any creative juices flowing out there???
(if you want to see how my show looks now, go to http://SEA-Inside.org to see where it's airing or on-line)

thanks for any ideas!

John,

Diving the PNW isn't just about the water, but our surroundings as well. Mountains, trees, native america art, ferries and the city skylines are part of what makes diving here unique.

Hope that helps!

Amy, thanks for the input. However, mountains, trees, native american art and ferries actually appear in lots of places around the country and around the world. Same with salmon and orcas -- I've seen more Orcas off the California coast than in the PNW, for example, ferries in New York, mountains in Chile and Peru, native american art in New Mexico.

That's what makes it hard. What are the icons of the PNW? Rain, rain, rain? Expresso carts on every corner? I just don't know.

What do people think of (visually) when they think of the PNW?

Well, I live in Seattle, but I think (especially from a diver's perspective) of the night skyline of Seattle as seen from the Coves at Alki. I think of Mt. Rainier in the sunlight, as seen from the Titlow parking area. I think of the Olympic mountain range, as seen from the Edmonds Underwater Park. And, of course, EVERYBODY knows the Space Needle as an icon of the PNW.

Yes, I'd say the Space Needle too... and Salmon! Also ferries (WA has the largest ferry operation in the States) would be good and the Pike Place Market is a PNW favorite.

How about the wicked huge bushel-basket-sized jellies?

Been all over the world, even the jelly lake in Palau where I was submerged in massive jelly hordes, and haven't seen anything as big as the Puget Sound/Hood Canal jellies anywhere else. Find the jelly that ate Tacoma and use some footage of that. Or a six-gill. You get the idea.

How about moving south, like the Olympia area. Nothing more striking then to come up from free diving around Olympia and seeing the Capital on one side and Mt, Rainer on the other and the Olympic's on yet another side. Try camping on Hope Island State park, get up early, watch the sun come up and then go free diving. Try Tolmie State Park on a very low tide you can free dive reef and come up and relax on the boatOr watch the sun set on MT Rainer with the South Sound in the fore front. Go do some free diving up at Neah Bay, come up and watch the whales.

great ideas, keep them coming! How about further south? Do Pendleton wool plaids bespeak the Northwest? Giant cedar trees & ferns? Bears? Mt. Hood? Mt. Shasta? Is there some cool way to easily and simply depict the Cascades?

What about further North? The inside passage? Powell River mermaid?

Any ideas how to make a collage or montage out of these that would convey the PNW at a glance?

Back
Top Bottom