Looking for opinion on new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sscohen

New
Reaction score
After trying and researching I have finally decided to buy my own equipment. I have a limited budget and can get these four items for about $900. I am hoping this will hold me for a few years. I just wanted to know if anybody has these and can recommend them.
Mares Platinum MRS BCD
Genesis GS2000 Reg.
Dacor Viper Octo
Genesis React In-line Console with compass
Any input would be appreciated as I am looking to buy in the next week or two.
Thanks,
Steve

...but you'll get better responses if you tell people where you dive, what sort of diving you do, and why you've singled out these particular items.

Zept

I dive mostly in the caribbean and a few times a year in Northern California. I was looking for the best equipment I can get in my price range.

is why the Viper Octo?

Viper's are reported to be ...okay... regs. But since you are using the Genesis reg for 1st and primary 2nd, why not choose one of their octos? Gensis makes an octo that is a very good one.

You might also investigate the Apeks line of regs (marketed by SeaQuest). These have been a long time standard for many divers including those who really rely on a high quality regulator. The TX50 or TX100 are darn good choices.

Not a big fan of the Mares MRS weight system. The weight pockets are a real big pain to put in once you wear the BC. Put a tank on the BC and about 8 lbs of lead in each pocket. While wearing the BC (with tank), try to load the weight pockets and get those darn buckles in the back to lock . . . it'll drive you nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom