looking for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fredgodive

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
looking for new fins there are a lot of choises and would like some real info about split fins or your recomindations I usualy dive where there is a current but I am also interested in geting in to cenote diving

canofworms.jpg

My husband uses HOG Classic fins and I have a pair of Atomic Split Fins (in purple, of course! :) ). While he has more precise control, I have better thrust, which is quite an accomplishment - he's a good 14" taller than me! As far as diving in a current, I haven't struggled at all and we're able to stay right close to one another. We've dove in places from the Carolinas to the Keys and I've never had a problem wtih currents or trying to move through the water.

Before I got the Atomics I had tried the Scubapro Twin Jets, and I was not happy with them. They have a wider, shorter blade that was not compatable with my kicking style. The wider blades would collide with one another as I was kicking.

Keep in mind that with split fins all you can really do effectively is a flutter kick, no frog kicking or anything like that. That's fine with me though!

The major plus side to the split fins in general, why I use them, is that there's less stress on your legs which, for me, has greatly reduced the potential for a leg cramp.

Keep in mind that with split fins all you can really do effectively is a flutter kick, no frog kicking or anything like that. That's fine with me though!

Your opinion ... YMMV.

I just replaced my Mares Quattros with AquaLung Slingshot fins. I never had any gripes with my quattros, but after I got to test the Slingshots I was sold. I have to say that the Quattros were horrible compared to the slingshots, especially for drysuit diving.

I just replaced my Mares Quattros with AquaLung Slingshot fins. I never had any gripes with my quattros, but after I got to test the Slingshots I was sold. I have to say that the Quattros were horrible compared to the slingshots, especially for drysuit diving.

How would you describe the difference?

Underwater I like my jet fins, but if I'm facing a long surface swim, or multiple long surface swims I prefer my tusa x-pert zoom splits (stiffer compound), they are easier to maintain a constant flutter on my back, the jets get tired fast and usually alternate kick styles (elementary back kick on the surface)

I can flog kick, modified frog kick, shuffle kick & helicopter turn in my splits, just can't back kick, the jets are more precise underwater. I will wear whatever suits my fancy that day.

Greetings Fredgodive and welcome to Scuba Board! This topic has spawned many debates and even some flames in the past.
What it really boils down to is what works best for you in the environment you wish to dive. Have you ever tried blades / splits? If so then can you use the various kick styles and techniques that are required to do the diving you desire.

Cenote's a frog kick " non-sliting technique" will as vital as proper buoyancy control.
You will need to be able to perform this kick in what ever fin you choose.
I would try many before I bought if possible. It varies from person to person just exactly what fin works best. Whether Jets, Slip streams, Dive Rite Blades, or Hollis, it really is personal preference. I have tried many and all will do.
I have a fin that works best for in my chosen environment and it is the DR Blades. They allow me to perform proper fin technique with the least effort. If I had to pick a split it would be Scuba Pro Twin Jets for single tank recreational diving. I can frog kick with them as well.
When diving dry and or doubles, "much more mass" I roll with blades.
This is just my opinion though and you need to experiment to find what works best for you!

Good luck and have fun trying out new fins, I love to give new ones a whirl!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

If you're planning on cavern/cave training, get a pair of paddles which help you trim out properly(OMS Slipstreams and Dive Rites are fairly neutral, Jetfins and Hollis F1s are negative) and start working on your frog kick, back kick, and helicopter turns. I've seen people say they can do these kicks in split fins, but I've never seen anyone claim splits make them easier to learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom