looking for my first set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hello, i live in south florida and i am looking for my first set of gear (reg, bc, octo, gauges) i dive in warm water and i am not very serious so cheap is good for me. i have seen some sets that go for $400, are these any good? can anyone point me in the direction of a quality starter set. i dont need mask fins snorkel or weight belt. thank a lot for the advice.
-James

Perhaps you could tell us the content of the $400 set.

Anyway, consider the low-priced Oceanic regulator, called Alpha 8. Magazines have rated these as good as regs costing twice as much. There is also a small octo called a slimline that goes with it. I have not had this below 150 feet, but that would be unusual in your part of the state. My daughter is using the Alpha 7, and earlier model, and it has held up well.

Diver's Direct has these and you can get a Scuba board discount. Leisure Pro has them too.

You have to try on a BC, so I can't advise you there. The low cost models require you to wear a wieght belt, you know.

You don't need a truckload of heavy-duty equipment to dive South Florida. Have fun with it.

Poseidon, Mares, and Oceanic all make really affordable gear.

Not to be confused with ScubaPro, Apex, Zeagle, Oxycheq, Halcyon, and Deep Sea Suppy, who make the high quality more expensive stuff.

ok one kit i was looking at has:
Mares R2 Rebel Regulator
Mares Rebel Octopus
Mares Vector Origin 1000 Buoyancy Compensator
MARES/Dacor Compact Pressure, Depth w/ Compass Gauge Console
and it costs $444
link: ** Free Shipping - Limited Time ** 444 Mares Scuba Gear Package | Mares Regulator, Octo, BCD, & Gaug: at JoeDiverAmerica.com's New Store

another has:
AERIS A1 Low Profile Lightweight Regulator
Aeris A1 Standard Octopus
Aeris Weight Integrated Sport Buoyancy Compensator
Aeris Max Depth Analog 2-Gauge Compact Console
$549
link: Aeris Competition | Scuba Gear Package | Regulator, Octo, BCD & Gauges - On Sale Now: at JoeDiverAmerica.com's New Store

and a third:
Oceanic Alpha 8 Sport Regulator WITH DVT
Oceanic Slimline 2 Octopus
Oceanic OceanPro Weight-integrated Buoyancy Compensator
Oceanic Oil Filled Pressure & Depth Combo Gauge
$599
link: Oceanic Day Tripper Scuba Gear Package - On Sale - Limited Time: at JoeDiverAmerica.com's New Store

are there any others that are decent price/quality? i really appreciate the help, looking at all the choices is really mind boggling for someone like me whos on a budget and doesnt know much at all about the gear.
thank you
-James

You may wish to print these out, go to Diver's Direct and see what they can do that's similar. Diver's Direct competes with the internet stores and is retail, too. West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and the Keys all have these stores. I just got a regulator back from their service shop, and I am pleased.

Besides that, if you can get a computer, you could get a pressure gauge without the depth gauge. The depth gauge becomes obsolte when you get computerized, and represents money wasted.

Have fun with it.

I'll second the Alpha 8 from Oceanic if you want a very nice performance regulator for an affordable price. The shop that I'm doing my divemaster course with uses them as rentals, and I am very impressed. When they first rolled into the shop, the owner asked me to give it a whirl to see what I thought, so I put it on the leg post of my doubles and went on a 100 foot dive. I couldn't feel a difference at 100 feet between it and my high end Zeagle reg. I'll likely be looking into using these for stage regs when I take my deco class.

Here are some sites that you should check out if you are looking for a good deal on gear:

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear as a scuba board member you get 10% off the posted price. Joe and Larry are great to work with and they really know their stuff and they have really taken care of me.

Golem Gear, Inc. great back plates and wing and they are on sale right now. I have been diving one of his rigs for a year now and really like it. Jakub has been great to work with

Discount Scuba Gear - Scuba Equipment Online - Discount Scuba Equipment Phil really puts some great deals out there

www.deepseasupply.com Tobin is a really active member of the Scuba Board community and he gives out some really great advice. He makes a top-notch product.

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com large selection. Many items do not have a mfg direct warranty, but LP stands behind what you sell and if there is a problem you can deal directly with them.

Aeris and Oceanic are made by the same people (Pelagian?)

I also recommend Divers Direct. If I lived in South Florida, I'd buy all my gear there.

They matched price for me on a BC once with Scubatoys. Which was a price match from LeisurePro - ST didn't have my size - with the manufacturer's warranty included.

Plus it's easy to drop your gear at DD for service if you're close to one of their stores. Their store on I-95 near the airport in Ft. Lauderdale is one of the best divestores I've ever been to.

I wouldn't buy a BC mail order until I tried it on first somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom