Looking for my first pair of fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crealque

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to diving and i'm looking for my first pair of fins. I'm looking for open heel fins that I can use with dive boots and are on the lower to mid budget scale. I'm not really a strong swimmer. The power of my kicks of my left and right legs are kinda unbalanced (I have an old injury on my left knee so the left leg is weaker than my right.) I do find myself struggling a little using the basic rented fins during my OW certification.

I've visited a few dive shops and I'm getting mixed advice about the type of fins that I should go for. Some advised that split fins are better, some advised that split fins are overrated and expensive and I should for something like a softer fin. The split fins that I saw are kinda expensive, but I've never tried them before, I'm not sure how they good are they. Kinda wanna be pretty sure before I make my decision.

What type of fins would you recommend? Any particular brand/model that I should look out for?

FYI, I was looking at Oceanic viper/vortex, TUSA imprex/expert, but i'm willing to look for other model/brands.

The TUSA Imprex is a good fin. My oldest son has a pair and likes them. I have a pair of TUSA Liberators and I like them. Either is a good fin and the price is reasonable. If you can, try a pair of the TUSAs.

Personally, I do not like split fins.

Try the Force Fin. Those of us who have them love em. He will give you a 100% money back guarantee if you dont like them

Moderate budget? Simple. Dive Rite EXP's. Great fin with good power in any kick, comes complete with spring straps and can be had for around $125.

Splits fins are only good for flutter/up-down kicks. If you get into photography or plan on hovering in one place to look at the nifty small life then paddle fins would do you more good. You'll see a lot more life if you tend to hover, rather than constantly swimming everywhere.

Split fins act as major spoilers when you move your feet sideways, so you can't do minute manuever kicks in them, such as frog kicks, helicopter turns, or back kicks. This spoiler effect stresses my knees when I try using them, so I'm sure it may exacerbate yours if you try to use these specialty kicks.

Paddles are great all around fins; IE. Oceanic Viper & Tusa Imprex.
The Tusa Imprex Tri-EX is a very floaty fin, which may help to lift your feet so you don't have to work so hard to move them. This same floatyness however makes them suck for surface swims, as you have to do extra with your legs to keep the fin blades underwater.

Tusa's Imprex I am unfamiliar with.
Between the Oceanic Viper and Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex, they should act very similar.

SF6.jpgTusa Imprex Tri-Ex
33.jpgTusa Imprex

Example of specialty kicks
[video=youtube;vNU-7pxGV1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU-7pxGV1U[/video]

I own, among others, the Vipers, I like them, very light, added spring strap they have been my travel fin.

Here are some inexpensive options.

Standard paddle fin with a rubber foot pocket. For just over $20 you can not go wrong with any below...

National Geographic Marlin 50 Open Heel Fins

Cressi Palau Open Heel Fins

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_956/Context_954/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/Page_1/TBTF77.html

A bit more expensive in the $50 range.

Mares Avanti X3 Open Heel Fins

In the $80 range

Tusa X-Pert Zoom Open Heel Split Fins (SF-8)

Oceanic Viper Open Heel Fins

Mares Avanti Super-Channel Open Heel Fins

Over $100

Mares Avanti Quattro Open Heel Fins

Tusa X-Pert Zoom Z3 Open Heel Split Fins (SF-15)

Apollo Bio-Fin Pro Fins

These are more alike than different. I threw the biofins in as they are the best fins I have used but expensive. I travel with the Mares Excel fins and they work well. Spring straps are nice to have and you can get them for $20....

EZ Spring Fin Strap - Recreational Diver, Black

Good Luck! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the information :) I guess I'll forget about the split fins and stay with the standard paddle fins. I would love to do some amateur underwater photography later on and the hovering skills looks like something I'll definitely have to pick up. Time to go fin hunting :)

One more question though, is it true that full foot pocket fins are usually more positively buoyant than the open heel type due to the weight of the boots and the straps?

One more question though, is it true that full foot pocket fins are usually more positively buoyant than the open heel type due to the weight of the boots and the straps?

Generally with some, yes it is true. But it's not something you'll notice unless you take your fin off and let both versions float (or sink) on their own.

Have fun taking your pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom