Looking for Miami & Hollywood dive shop info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last week I scheduled time off work and purchased airline tickets for a 3 day/4 night trip to Ft Lauderdale (Oct 27-31, 2005) before I discovered that there were no hotels rooms available. I then found that the Ft. Lauderdale dive shops will be down for that week due to the boat show (the LDS I planned to dive with said they lost their dock for the week). As a result I went to my "back-up plan" and moved my base of operations to the North Miami/Sunny Isles area (Newport Beachside resort, where I have stayed in the past).

The purpose of the trip is to take the PADI Wreck diver or Deep diver courses (maybe both if time and Wx permit). When I booked the Newport I planned on taking these courses at H2O Scuba (I earned my Nitrox certification there), but I then found Henry has moved his operation to Key Biscayne. Back to the drawing board...

I have now narrowed my options down to Dive Stop in North Miami and Southeast Oceanic in Hollywood. I am looking for information on either of these operations. Also if there are any PADI operations near the Sunny Isles area I would welcome information on them as well.

I might like to try a few shore dives in Lauderdale by the Sea or Palm Beach if someone in the area would like to buddy up for a few dives. I would be available Friday and Saturday for day and/or night dives, and Sunday up until 7:00 pm (flight restrictions).

I am PADI certified as a Rescue Diver, Nitrox, UW Navigator, and a member of our sheriff department's underwater search and recovery dive team. I am looking to build as many dives in my log book as time permits as I am working toward my Padi Divemaster certification. Thanks for any info.

Henry has not moved to Key Biscayne. He has only moved the shop a few miles from the old location to Biscayne Boulevard.

The new address is: 14382 Biscayne Boulevard, North Miami Beach. It takes less than ten minutes to go from the old location to the new one.

Thanks for clearing up the H2O move. I was told they moved to KB after their building was sold.

When I called last week to book the training dives the person I spoke with "blew me off" with a vague remark about not booking dive trips anymore, so I looked elsewhere. At that point I was not aware of the move. I only found out about it later from another LDS.

Well, based on the information you provided I called H2O Scuba again this afternoon. This time I spoke with someone I could understand (no accent) and AGAIN left my name and phone number, along with details of what I am trying to accomplish while I am in Miami. The person I spoke with said he would be sure to have someone return my call today... so we will see.

In the last week I have called 6 PADI dive operators in South Florida requesting course information and prices. Only 2 of those shops have returned my calls (I won't say who the "no shows" were to avoid flames from loyal customers and/or lawsuits by the LDS).

I wasn't aware the South Florida dive business was so busy that operators could afford to send future business to their competition. Or is it they don't see PADI specialty courses as generating enough income to care about. If I treated potential customers of my wedding photography business that way I would be out of business in a short time. Although I must admit I have noticed the same trend in some of the LDS up north. I seams that after you complete the Open Water and buy all of your gear those shops lose interest in you. I have found a few who cater to advanced divers.

That is why I am requesting info on the shops mentioned. I am thinking of spending my money, and vacation time training with them. I want a "heads up" as to their reputations, training practices, safety records and customer service. In short... I want to learn something for my money, not just buy another PADI C-Card.

Call the Dive Stop and ask for Tony. Tell him that Renee referred you. Then see if he is available. Great guy and excellent instructor. On the other hand if you want to extend your depth and visit some great wrecks let me know. I can't give you PADI certification but can NAUI.

ReneeC:
Call the Dive Stop and ask for Tony. Tell him that Renee referred you. Then see if he is available. Great guy and excellent instructor. On the other hand if you want to extend your depth and visit some great wrecks let me know. I can't give you PADI certification but can NAUI.

Thanks for the recomendation. I pulled Dive Stop and Southeast Oceanics names off of PADI's website. I know nothing about either. I spoke with Tony last week and he was going to check with the boat captains and see if they have posted their schedules yet. As of this morning I have not heard from him. I'll drop your name when I do a followup call this week. I know I may be trying to schedule things a little early, but in the spring I brought my PADI certified teenage son down to do some diving and waited too long to schedule trips as everyone was already booked when I called.

If I wasn't hooked on completing these specialties I would take you up on your offer. I have already purchased the PADI books and tapes for these courses (and a few others as well), completed the written course work, and might as well follow through on them. Some PADI instructors have told me the specialites mean nothing other than you showed up and performed the bare minimun requirements. One went as far as tell me the specialties are a waste of money and just another revenue avenue for the LDS and PADI (they said the true meaning of PADI is "Put Another Dollar In"). After I get my PADI Dive Master I will get cross certified with Naui, SSI or both. At that point I'll decide about an agency for instructor training. For now I am stuck with PADI.

wmspdi:
I wasn't aware the South Florida dive business was so busy that operators could afford to send future business to their competition. Or is it they don't see PADI specialty courses as generating enough income to care about. If I treated potential customers of my wedding photography business that way I would be out of business in a short time. Although I must admit I have noticed the same trend in some of the LDS up north. I seams that after you complete the Open Water and buy all of your gear those shops lose interest in you. I have found a few who cater to advanced divers.

I feel your pain. Several weeks ago I went through this trying to find a dive shop or operator to get my Advanced Open Water. Its sucks and its extremely frustrating.

Alex

wmspdi:
Some PADI instructors have told me the specialites mean nothing other than you showed up and performed the bare minimun requirements. One went as far as tell me the specialties are a waste of money and just another revenue avenue for the LDS and PADI (they said the true meaning of PADI is "Put Another Dollar In").

I have been told the same thing, its disappointing.

Alex

Guys- I aggree with you that the industry is in a sad state as far as customer service and "follow through after the sale" goes.

All the agencies bicker back and forth about which is better. SSI - NAUI - PADI. None of them are what I'd call excellent. They are pushing for more certified Instructors selling more stuff. The training down right stinks and the market (ScubaDivers) are starting to really make noise about it.

I like the SSI scheldule where you at least have to have a fair number of dives to make it to Dive Con (Dive master).

There should be set standards that are hard to complete once you reach the "I wanna lead others" level. Timed swims, U/W Obstacle courses, problem solving scenarios, and minimum fitness standards.

But the potato chip eating masses would all revolt and want something easy that can be done at home in their boxers.

rant over....

maybe I should go dir....

WHO said THAT!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom