Looking for Maui night shore dive buddies any day(s) July 3rd - 12th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As stated prior, I'll be based out of Kihei. I don't solo night dive anywhere, ever, as a rule. I'm hoping one or more of you would be able and willing to make some shore based night dives with me on one or more of the evenings of July 3rd through 12th, anywhere of interest between Ka'anapali and Ahihi Bay. I will actually be out there July 1st - 14th, but my pasty white Irish carcass needs a couple days to acclimate - and of course I have to pull the plug on any diving a day prior to our flight back to the mainland.

I'm MSD certed and have the experience and all necessary/required equip for night diving. You'll find me a relaxed but conscientious and attentive dive buddy (at least on night dives:D). I'm no style or form nazi, but I won't compromise on safety. As such I also make it a rule to make at least one still-daylight recon dive at any proposed night dive site so as to prep. But I am happy to make that daylight recon dive solo if timing or perhaps even cumulative nitrogen buildup is a problem for you.

At the risk of sounding (or being) presumptuous, I'd very much like to have any such night dives at least tentatively scheduled (date-wise, not necessarily location or time wise), and appropriate contact info exchanged, by July 1st, but it isn't imperative. I just like to give a tentative schedule to my travel companions as I am the only diver in the group and they have their various mixed interests and we only will have two cars at our disposal.

Anywayz, I look forward to new people and new experiences.

TIA
Cheers
Todd Lewis

Friendly self promoting bump.

TSL

Have you considered hiring a guide? Shaka Doug does shore night dives, as does Maui Dreams. I know you're simply looking for a buddy, however in the absence of volunteers, perhaps hiring a guide is worth considering (??).

I have indeed considered it at length, as we are out there on holiday each summer. Guides cost money. Given the choice, I'd rather use the money for more tanks - more dives - and forego the night diving. The other option being to hand over what amounts to at least ten nitrox fills for the privilege of joining a group of vacationing fairweather AOWs (at best - more likely just OWs), using 11L cyls of air. Be lucky to get a 30 min dive; made even more frantic by those who rarely if ever night dive.

I'll happily help, guide, nurture and babysit less experienced divers in the murky cold waters here at home. And I do, with great satisfaction. I'm up for helping first time night divers past the 'spook' of "oh crap it's really really dark" (as opposed to just 'dark' I guess). And I'll literally hold their hand and take them on their first cruise in the currents of the Narrows. But not on my holiday.

Thanx but no thanx. Just not my idea of a good dive. I'll just bump this a couple more times over the next weeks and hope for the best.

But I appreciate your response just the same.

Take care and thanx DMaven
TSL

I have done the best dive of my life at night with a guide on Maui. The guides name is Dave Ames and he is an instructor out of B&B scuba. He has become a friend and I highly recommend spending the money for a guided night dive to Five Caves. Seriously the best dive I have ever done. it's shallow and we did a 75 minute dive. we saw turtles going and out of the caves as well as a huge white tip reef shark. Other notables where an abundance of eels (many different species) a frog fish, many nudibranchs and on the return swim Dave searched the sand and found the tiniest octopus (it stuck to my thumb and wasn't any bigger than my thumb nail) as well as some tiny squid that were attracted to my dive light. truly an amazing location day or night. But Dave is an amazing dive and I would highly recommend him as a guide and the B&B boat for early morning trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom