looking for local info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
so im looking to relocate to the DFW area...
mabye more specifically Lewisville area.
any recomendations?
shops diving. anything
any shop owners in that area on here.
ill be making a scouting trip next month sometime

TIA
Ray

Scubatoys will be nearby and carries pretty much everything as long as it isn't made in France. Not sure what kind of diving you're interested in but from looking at your profile, might want to talk to texdiveguy on this board.

Anyway, we've got Lake Travis down in Austin which is usually a good dive but has been crap for a while now due to low water levels. We have a couple of lakes in Oklahoma including Murray, Ten Killer and some other I can't think of the name of off the top of my head. There are also a couple of DFW scuba parks, CSSP and Athens.

Btw, am I having de ja vu or have you posted here before?

Rand is right about ScubaToys in terms of stuff and volume of scuba gear.....sorta a wearhouse of things. But I might recommend Surface Interval Scuba in Arlington www.siscuba.com ,,,good shop with nice folks. In Dallas you might also look at Lonestar Scuba off LBJ/Preston Rd.,,,nice shop. I think Rand has highlighted most local DFW area diving...I don't know if he mentioned PK and Stillhouse in Texas and there a several good lakes in Arkansas.

loosebits:
Scubatoys will be nearby and carries pretty much everything as long as it isn't made in France. Not sure what kind of diving you're interested in but from looking at your profile, might want to talk to texdiveguy on this board.

Anyway, we've got Lake Travis down in Austin which is usually a good dive but has been crap for a while now due to low water levels. We have a couple of lakes in Oklahoma including Murray, Ten Killer and some other I can't think of the name of off the top of my head. There are also a couple of DFW scuba parks, CSSP and Athens.

Btw, am I having de ja vu or have you posted here before?

He posted here sometime last year about his friend wanting to get OW. His friend was from the DFW area, if I remember correctly?

Edit: found the actual post. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=132369

amascuba:
He posted here sometime last year about his friend wanting to get OW. His friend was from the DFW area, if I remember correctly?

Edit: found the actual post. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=132369

wow you guys have good memories...

what kinda diving i wanna do will have alot to do with what there is to do.

i was down there over the new years weekend and i noticed more dive shops than i thought i would see in a area so far from the ocean...

id like to find s LDS that could use a additional instructor, aor DM and mabe needs a tech in the shop.
im not really looking for a place to buy gear of get instruction

Diesel298:
wow you guys have good memories...

what kinda diving i wanna do will have alot to do with what there is to do.

i was down there over the new years weekend and i noticed more dive shops than i thought i would see in a area so far from the ocean...

id like to find s LDS that could use a additional instructor, aor DM and mabe needs a tech in the shop.
im not really looking for a place to buy gear of get instruction

If you're an experienced tech, definitely come see us... and we are always looking for instructors.

Yeah i think we may be a little far and if you want to be a DM, Instructor, technician, you probably should be fairly close to your LDS. I am not really hiring right now. Pretty full staff at this point.

Lewisville/Carrollton/Dallas/Plano Area:

Scubatoys
Dive Monster
International Scuba
Lone Star Scuba
Adventure Scuba
Crazyscuba

Most dive shops up north are pretty easily accessible by all major freeways.

What agencies do you teach with? That will narrow your choices in a hurry and depending on your gear brands you will need to either work with a shop that dives the gear you are already have or be prepared to make a switch to a different brand.

My agencies will limit my usefullness.....
i started with PADI, as a diver but all my advances certs are with SDI/TDI

i am willing to do a crossover if nessary.

as far as gear..
the basics are Scubapro/ and OMS hard goods

poseidon uni suit (probally wont need a uni suit there much)
but im somewhat flexable

I would definitely take a look at Lone Star Scuba in Dallas then. They are PADI and then TDI for the tech courses. Scubatoys would not be a good fit for you they are NAUI, and do not sell Scubapro. International Scuba, Dive Monster, Adventure Scuba, Crazyscuba are all PADI shops. We are a PADI 5 Star IDC center and we have 2 full time PADI Tec/Rec Instructors that teach all the way through Tri-Mix. We do not teach TDI. The Lone Star Scuba shops are in Fort Worth and Dallas and are both equally reputable LDS's. Have fun and welcome to Texas!

Extreme Scuba in Wylie is a SDI/TDI shop, but it's a bit of a haul from Lewisville. 45 minutes or so, maybe a little faster on 190 (tollway).

When you get here, come dive with us sometime. The offer is always open.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom