Looking for Legal Content

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have recently started a web site and my web designer has been trying to get it up and running. The problem right now is most of the photos on the site are ...well....stolen! I am not into underwater photography (yet) so i dont have any photos of my own. There are a few on there that may actually belong to some local divers. Finding photos that I have permission to use is an item on my "to do list". I have recently been reminded of this from another Scubaboard member (appreciated) so it is time to fix the problem.
So......does anyone have any ideas as to where I could find a few avid underwater photographers who might allow me to use some of their photos of local wrecks and not so local sites? Seems to me there might be a few around. Wouldnt it be great to have your photos on a site that is viewed by millions around the world? Ok...maybe thats a little exagerated but you never know!
Thanks for your consideration and please....dont turn me in.

SoScuba:
Hi all.
I have recently started a web site and my web designer has been trying to get it up and running. The problem right now is most of the photos on the site are ...well....stolen! I am not into underwater photography (yet) so i dont have any photos of my own. There are a few on there that may actually belong to some local divers. Finding photos that I have permission to use is an item on my "to do list". I have recently been reminded of this from another Scubaboard member (appreciated) so it is time to fix the problem.
So......does anyone have any ideas as to where I could find a few avid underwater photographers who might allow me to use some of their photos of local wrecks and not so local sites? Seems to me there might be a few around. Wouldnt it be great to have your photos on a site that is viewed by millions around the world? Ok...maybe thats a little exagerated but you never know!
Thanks for your consideration and please....dont turn me in.

We are extremely lucky to have some very exceptional photographers on this board. I would start by contacting the following:

vlada - www.wrecksandreefs.com
marvintpa - www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving
doug35 - www.exploreh2o.com

These three are IMHO some of the best around.

justleesa:
Using the photos on your website is looking for trouble. I had some problems with someone that "stole" my pictures a while back. Have a read here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t56397-.html

Interesting.

I appologize if you thought I was telling them to "steal" the photos, I meant he should contact them and ask first.

Art, I was going to mention you but I couldn't think of your url. You do have some good pics too.

Yikes! I dont want to be known as a "sleasebag" who steals photos!
Yes its wrong. I was justeager to get my site up and running. I didnt actually place them on my site but I am still responsible for the content.
Ok...quick....somebody send me some photos!

I have already been in contact with Marvintpa regarding linking to his site and he has graciously allowed me to do so. He's got some great photos and wreck descriptions there!

After the weekend I will be contacting those of you who reply. Thanks for responding.

really...im not a sleasebag....

No, no, I wasn't thinking that. I just read what he wrote about having photos on his site that he didn't have permisson for.
It's a small world and the photographer is gonna find one of his pictures someday and make trouble for him.
Look where I am sitting, in Hawaii. The guy that used my picture is on the East coast. Never met him, never heard of him, until he took my picture from someone elses website, used it for his business cards and someone that knows my SO received one of those cards. What are the chances of that? Very slim. The chances for some one to find it on the web are even greater.
One day I was searching the web for something (on google), looked at the images and saw a picture of my SO diving with a turtle, here in Hawaii. Followed the link and it was an ad for a company on the Virgin Islands! The guy was nice enough about it and took it off his site.
I would just rather be safe than sorry. That's all.

SoScuba, you are looking to use these photos to help promote your business and generate money. Why not invest a little in getting good photos to use, and write it off as a business expense?
I cannot speak for others, but for me underwater photography has required a considerable sum of money, just as I am sure it has taken a considerable investment on your part to get qualified to teach diving courses. Just as you charge for your services, don't be surprised if photographers request the same consideration.
Having said that, I would be willing to help you out with your efforts for exceptionally modest compensation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom