Looking for Kent Tooling reel info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but fantastic things about this company and their products. Their reels are, based on what I've read and heard, pretty impressive. Anyone have experience and/or own one? They have a few different variations and being unable to physically hold one, I'm curious what others thought about their reels and the decision criteria employed when buying one. I'm mainly curious about the different handle configurations and the suitability of each for different conditions/diving types. I've always used white line in reels- do the colors really make any difference at depth?

They're in the UK and deal direct with consumers so the ol' LDS isn't going to have one on display.

Diving Products - Ratchet Reels

May be a very well made product but after checking out photos, here are the concerns one should have with this.

Ratcheting Reel - I believe, simple is better! Majority of divers that have reel problems stem from the gadgety part of it. I try to prevent problems before I even get in the water. Give that thing a solid year or 2 of Salt Water diving plus diver neglect (let's face it, divers in general are not good with maintenance) and let's see how it performs.

Overseas - let's say you do have a problem with it, servicing/fixing it will be an issue

Left handed / RH handed handle - why not have the flexibility to use both under water?

I know it's more money, but IMHO, the best reel on the market is the Halcyon Pathfinder 400' (choice of #24 or #36 line).
HPR-6.jpg

Halcyon Pathfinder Reels, Buy at The SCUBA Connection 888-SCUBA-47 HPR *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Anti-foul Design - One of the biggest problems with reels is that the line jumps and gets caught between the handle & spool. Check out the tolarence in this photo! I have yet to see this happen to this reel and even if the diver has poor line management skills, I have yet not been able to fix it underwater because of this design.

Flexible - Can use it RH or LH handed underwater.

Solid Construction - The spool used in the reel is milled from one solid billet. The unique side handle (hard-coated) is machined from a solid piece of aluminum and has a SS lock down screw.

If you want a better price point (less quality materials than above item) then try the DiveRite Sidewinder Reel.
RE50250-2T.jpg

Dive Rite Full Line of Dive Rite Sidewinder Primary Reels RE50250 *Buy Dive Rite at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

IMO, primary reel should have 400' of line.

The reels from Kent Tooling are supposed to be of a very solid construction too, i.e., quite heavy. I like the new reel from Light Monkey, a scaled down version of their standard 400' reel. I have mine loaded with high viz line from Dive Rite Express.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom