looking for info....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'll admit, I'm new to UW photography, so I'm open to input.

I'm currently using a Sealife Reefmaster RC, 35mm. No external strobe, just the camera and housing. I'd say about 75% of my photos come out average or better with about 5% quite nice. But I know there is so much else waiting.

I want to go digital.

I know the Oly c-5050 is a good camera however I have heard that the PT-015 housing has some issues.

I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which takes fantastic photos on land.

Here's where I need input. Given this situation, would you:

A) Spend $790 for the Ikelite housing for the 5700, add strobe(s).

B) Invest in another digital camera, housing, strobe(s).

Thanks for any and all input.

What are the most important considerations for you?

Is digital more important than money? Is quality or convenience more important? How well do you like shooting with your Nikon? Do you need a strobe to shoot where you are?

If you need a strobe and money is tight, get a light for your reefmaster and have your film scanned at the time of processing.

If you love your Nikon ( like I do all of mine), get the housing and strobes for it.

If you are a gear junkie with a bottomless buget...
Let me know and I'll tell you what my wish list looks like...

Brian

jbichsel:
I know the Oly c-5050 is a good camera however I have heard that the PT-015 housing has some issues.

I've heard that too. But I also KNOW of many many people who have this housing and who dive at least once a week. No problems. Including me. I guess I wouldn't toss it out as an option...especially as the $$ you save on this housing can be put to strobes and lenses...

I agree: you really need to look at what you want from your system...a not ehaustive list of questions:
- how much do I want to spend
- is what I want availalbe
- how often do I use it diving
- what type of pictures do I like to take
- how much manual control do I want
- does it feel good when I hold it (some won't have this luxury) and can I easily get to the buttons
- how many buttons do I want to push to get the desired result

Also check out the Important topic at the top of this board - "...first camera..." or something like that...it has a lot of useful info even if this isn't your first!

Brian - I love the 5700. I am using it in NEF mode and getting fantastic photos. Since I have a Tektronix 850DP and HPDesignjet 130nr, I can print out pictures that are incredible up to 24" x 36". These printer were purchase for my and my wife's businesses; write off.

Unfortunately, I do NOT have a bottomless budget, so that is a consideration.

I know I do want to move to digital for UW, but am not sure of what funtionality the Ikelite housing would give. Since I will, at some point, make the move to digital, I am having a hard time justifying the cost of the strobe for the Reefmaster. The strobe costs more than the camera and housing did.

The prices on the PT- series of housings make many of the Oly cameras attractive. I know I do want something in the 4MP or up.

Guess I'd head for the Oly 5050 and PT015 housing. The strobe might still be more than the camera and housing, though! Just depends on which strobe :wink:

Other choice would be the Canon series. I like the A series and have also seen excellent results from the IXUS series, but don't know anything about them personally. I think the S series is also getting some great results - there was a link to some excellent shots from the S50 using only internal strobe...

If you like the Nikon then you should seriously consider looking at the housing for it. If it has all of the functionality UW then you will only need to master one camera for all of your shooting.

There is something to be said for knowing intuitively how close you can focus, how long your flash recycle time is, where the control to switch to macro is without looking away.

Unless you are shooting regularly with multiple cameras you will not be able to shoot as efficiently. I would not switch camera systems/models without a compelling reason such as I really want 4 fps instead of the paltry 3 my current model offers. You are going to be able to take good pictures with any 4 mp camera in a housing as long as it has all of the features your shooting requires.

There is something to be said for an attractive price, but realize that you may end up paying more in other ways.

Brian

jbichsel:
I already have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which takes fantastic photos on land.
Is there a housing that will allow extra strobes & lenses (if you think you might want to add them)? If so, this might be the best way for you to go as you already have and love it! The more comfortable with your camera you are on land the better you will be underwater.

alcina:
Is there a housing that will allow extra strobes & lenses (if you think you might want to add them)? If so, this might be the best way for you to go as you already have and love it! The more comfortable with your camera you are on land the better you will be underwater.

So far Ikelite is the only housing I've found for the 5700. It's just that having 20 yrs expeience with plastics, machining, toolrooms, etc., I find their prices to be awfully high. Even at some of the places that sell under MSRP for around $790, that still seems high.

Then when you add on a strobe, YEOW!

But hey, anything regarded as 'recreation' gets the big green weenie.

I do like your point of only having to master one camera, makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll start saving my Diet Coke cans to turn in.

Then again, for less than the cost of the housing for your Nikon you can get the Oly camera, housing and good size card, how difficult is it really to learn another camera and housing system? Sure, there are differences, but the general principles are the same. And a bit of practice.

The other advantage to having two is that when you go out you can leave the one in the housing and have a land camera ready to go! I do this a lot...just easier sometimes. YMMV

alcina:
The other advantage to having two is that when you go out you can leave the one in the housing and have a land camera ready to go! I do this a lot...just easier sometimes. YMMV

I do this, too. My first digital camera was a Nikon 880. It takes great pics but I really wanted an Oly for underwater. So the Nikon stays set-up for topside and the C-5050's stay set-up for U/W. The C-5050's are also a great topside camera but seem I was always forgetting to reset something!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom