Looking for info on Poseidon regs/WTB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i see that the poseidons are very "sensitive" as well.

What do you mean they are "sensitive"? They do have little quirks like don't turn them on slowly or they will free flow until you get the tank valve fully open. Generally, I find them fairly solid; they either work or they don't. I've never had them seem to work when I tried them in the pool and fail when I got below 100 feet. I have had other regs which seem to be tuned well but turn out to not work as well at depth.

By the way, do you know anyone who has some time on the Hollis 500se? It does look like serious competition to the Poseidon XStream. I also notice that people who sell both are selling the XStream for the same price as the 500se.

I spoke too soon when I said Poseidons were hard to find. It seems that Dive Gear Express has picked up the line, so that you can get then through one of the biggest internet dive sellers on the planet and service should be readily available through them. Still might be very to find local service, though, if you have a problem come up during a trip.

But, if you want to compare them to the Hollis 500se, you can give DGE a call because they carry both.

And yet you add nothing to the OP's question. What in the hell do you know about the Poseidon regs,?

For my take on the situation, I love my Poseidons' One there is no upside / down side when donating the reg. Perfect for side mount in that they can feed from left or right. When other regs froze up...they never did. Breathe even better at depth.[/QUOTE

i see that the poseidons are very "sensitive" as well.

Sorry about that post. I just get rather tired of trying to look at a thread where a diver ask a question about X and gets input about A-Z. Again sorry to be too short.

No problems, I hope you took my post with the good humor with which it was intended.

By the way, I agree that the Poseidons are the best on the planet because until now they were the only servo design in production. I was just noting that a similar design is now available from a large manufacturer which might make service or repair easier to access, and it costs a little less, as well. The OP might not have known this.

However, now that DGE carries Poseidons, that is a game-changer eliminating a lot of the "practical" issues (availability, service) about Poseidon. Also, DGE's prices on long hose packages are unbelievable. Really, my only choice now comes down to upstream (Poseidon) vs downstream (Hollis/Omega) design and what are the specific quirks/features of each.

By the way, since I can now easily get Poseidons from a top local (for me) dealer, they are a viable choice. I am curious as to the upstream/downstream differences. Could you share your understanding of the differences?

I am actually joining the OP to find out as much as I can before I choose. I am definitely going back to servo regs (long time Tekna and Omega user through the 80s and 90s until my gear was stolen) and now have the luxury of choice. I was dead-set on the Hollis, but now I want to find out a little more about Poseidon.

I spoke too soon when I said Poseidons were hard to find. It seems that Dive Gear Express has picked up the line, so that you can get then through one of the biggest internet dive sellers on the planet and service should be readily available through them. Still might be very to find local service, though, if you have a problem come up during a trip.

One of the problems with Poseidon regulators in the past was their lack of a strong US distributor. Parkway was their distributor until they went under. Then Poseidon did some partnerships with Sherwood, Abyss, OMS, and most recently Dive Rite. Now it seems they are back in the US market but for how long is the question. They always had the reputation of being excellent breathers but they also have the reputation of being expensive to service with sporadic parts shortages.

But, if you want to compare them to the Hollis 500se, you can give DGE a call because they carry both.

I was hesitant to buy Poseidon regs when I first considered them. Whenever I shipped equipment to the USA for service it would get stopped at the border coming back and I'd get charged a 20% 'duty' for the 'purchase'. It took forever to get the Canadian government to give me my money back. So for this reason, getting local service was very important to me. When I finally purchased them it was because I started seeing more and more local shops servicing Poseidon regs. I definitely didn't want to ship them to Europe.

Now I know many places I can get my regs service, Canada and USA. Plus I travel to the USA 50+ times a year. I can always pack my regs in my luggage, get them serviced, pick them up next time I'm in the USA and bring them home in my luggage. :)

The Hollis regs look interesting and they are cheaper than I paid for my Poseidon regs. If the Hollis regs were available back when I bought the Poseidon regs I might have considered them. However, I know a few old time divers with Poseidon regs which are decades old. They have proven they last the test of time. The Hollis regs look good but only time will tell if they are as good. Plus the cost of the Poseidon regs have come down a lot in price. So I can find Poseidon XStreams for literally the same price as the Hollis 500se.

Have had discussion about the cost of rebuild/service of Poseidon vrs other regs. It around $50.00 to get regs rebuilt in NM any one kown about price for Poseidon regs??

I know a few old time divers with Poseidon regs which are decades old. They have proven they last the test of time. The Hollis regs look good but only time will tell if they are as good. Plus the cost of the Poseidon regs have come down a lot in price. So I can find Poseidon XStreams for literally the same price as the Hollis 500se.

If you go to the vintage section you will find divers still using 50 year-old (some older) double hoses. The keys to regulator longevity are: care of the regulator, parts availability and regulator construction. I can see those metal Cyklons lasting forever if properly taken care of and parts are available. The plastic ones can last for years just look on eBay and you will find a ton of plastic regulators that are older than 20 years some are pushing 30.

Back
Top Bottom