Looking for info on Poseidon regs/WTB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terri2chris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for info on Poseidon regs. Not the their junk stuff but people who use them or have used them. Also looking to buy a set if reasonable to try.

Thanks
Chris

No personal experience but they are great breathing regs, go cold and deep well. Down side is getting good service can be difficult and expensive because they are different from most regs and can be finicky to service and tune.

Not willing to sell my Poseidon regs but happy to tell you about them. Not sure what you want to know.

When I'm in the pool with students, pressing the purge valve is a great way to get everyone's attention. The pressure is high enough to clean the plaque off my teeth. :)

I have a set of XStreams. My previous set of regs were good for beginning but I got into wreck diving. I'd often find myself going in weird directions to make my way through a wreck. In certain positions I found myself sucking a little water. Switched to the Poseidon regs and never had the problem again. To try them out I got in the pool and slowly rotated 360 degrees while breathing normally. No water at all; no change in breathing effort.

When I learned to share air it was stressed that I didn't want to put the reg in my mouth upside down. Heard this was not a concern with Poseidon. Put the regs in my mouth upside down and did the 360 trick. No problem at all.

Also noticed that if my old regs weren't tuned just right that they either breathed hard on the surface and better at depth or breathed fine shallow and not so much at depth. Never had any trouble with the Poseidon regs. This could be the person tuning my regs is now a different person but I suspect that just in general cheap regs don't adjust to depth as well as Poseidon regs. I was told higher end regs in general worked better at all depths.

One slightly annoying thing is if I turn my air on slowly the regs start to free flow. I have to open the valve on the tank rapidly to prevent free flow. I did get used to that. Not a problem anymore.

I used a rental set before I purchased the regs. The rental set had older, rubber hoses. I found the hose a little stiff and pulled a little when I turned my head. When I purchased the regs they came with miflex hoses. The stiffness of the rubber hose doesn't happen with the miflex hose. So if you are purchasing used you might want to consider getting miflex hoses.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that's the info I was/am looking for. It seems those who have them do not wish to part with them. Have a few private messages from people diving 40 year old Poseidon regs and love them.

Chris

You should look at the new Hollis 500se or Oceanic Omega III regulators. They are widely available, use the legendary servo breathing mechanism, side exhaust, can be serviced anywhere, and are much less than the Poseidons. Downstream design for complete safety.

I am planning on selling my Apeks regs and getting these. The Omega II was legendary performer, unequalled in breathing, back in the 80s.

I just looked at the Hollis at Dive Gear Express. Just outstanding design on both the first and second stages.

No affiliation with anyone. I am just a long time fan of this design and with Hollis and Oceanic bringing it back, no need to search for rare and difficult to service Poseidons. I'm not knocking them, they were the best up to now, but these new ones will be just as good.

You should look at the new Hollis 500se or Oceanic Omega III regulators. They are widely available, use the legendary servo breathing mechanism, side exhaust, can be serviced anywhere, and are much less than the Poseidons. Downstream design for complete safety.

I am planning on selling my Apeks regs and getting these. The Omega II was legendary performer, unequalled in breathing, back in the 80s.

I just looked at the Hollis at Dive Gear Express. Just outstanding design on both the first and second stages.

No affiliation with anyone. I am just a long time fan of this design and with Hollis and Oceanic bringing it back, no need to search for rare and difficult to service Poseidons. I'm not knocking them, they were the best up to now, but these new ones will be just as good.

And yet you add nothing to the OP's question. What in the hell do you know about the Poseidon regs,?

For my take on the situation, I love my Poseidons' One there is no upside / down side when donating the reg. Perfect for side mount in that they can feed from left or right. When other regs froze up...they never did. Breathe even better at depth.

I've got lots of used Poseidon stuff in my service shop. Maybe 20+ sets of various types: Jetstreams, Cyklons, and one used XStream awaiting service. I just sent off a Jetstream that was mailed to me from the East Coast for service, and my standards are the highest. Most parts in stock, so turnaround is 2 weeks or faster if you really need it now.
I'm now the Northern Calif Service Center for Poseidon (not that you'd know if from their website, and asking to be listed now that they've selected me seems to do nothing, lol!).
I service it; I dive it. It has lots of advantages, and a couple of quirks. But the "I can't find quality service" problem is a non-issue if you can handle the extra $30 for two-way Priority Mail.

Send me a PM if you want to chat. Happy to move some gear for a good price. I don't do this for a living - I do it for fun.

Rob Singler

And yet you add nothing to the OP's question. What in the hell do you know about the Poseidon regs,?

For my take on the situation, I love my Poseidons' One there is no upside / down side when donating the reg. Perfect for side mount in that they can feed from left or right. When other regs froze up...they never did. Breathe even better at depth.[/QUOTE

i see that the poseidons are very "sensitive" as well.

Back
Top Bottom