Looking for info about Captain John's in Oronogo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are planning a trip there on July 28th. The website doesn't have park fees, tank fill fees, or rental information. Has anyone been there recently that can tell me anything? I tried to call, but they aren't there until Friday at 4:00. I emailed, but they may not check their email until then either. I need to make plans about wetsuit, and stuff if they do not rent them. I only have a 4/2, and I don't think that will be enough.
Thanks for any info!

Rhonda

Entrance fee is $12.00 per diver, air fills are $5.00. I am not sure if they rent gear or not (I think they do). I have been there 2 times, and really enjoyed both times. I think that you would want a thicker suit, if you get cold easy.
I normally dive Stockton Lake, but was thinking of going back to Oronogo in the next two weeks. Let me know if you guys would like to dive Stockton. Hope you have a great time.

Thank You!
We won't have time to dive Stockton though, we will ony be there Saturday, we will be going back home on Sunday. I have been to Stockton lake though, it's really nice! I didn't realize you could dive there! We'll have to put that on our list, next time we visit.

I like Stockton. There are not as many things to see as there are at Oronogo, but it is a nice place. A lot of fish, and the other assortment of things you find in a lake! Hope you enjoy Oronogo!!

Whats the normal viz like in Stockton? Do you dive at the north end or further south? I have (or soon will have) a 2-piece 5mm for me and a 2-piece 7 for my wife. Does that sound about right for this time of year ?

Well, it depends!:D If you go below 40-50 ft., it gets pretty cold. but you should be all right in a 5. I wear a 2-peice 7 unless I am going to stay less than 40 ft., then I just wear the bottoms. Vis is normally around 20 ft., but with all the rain it has been fairly poor. However, I enjoy the challenge of low-vis diving so I don't mind a whole lot. If the rain will stay away for a little while, things should improve quite a bit.
You will probably want to stay on the North side of the lake, the vis gets worse the farther South you go as a general rule.
I dove there this past weekend, and the vis was still low (at 75ft-about 5-8 ft., at 20-30 ft-about 5-10 depending). If you guys are going to get up this way, drop me a line and let me know when and maybe we can set something up. I will keep you updated on the conditions. I will either be at Stockton or Oronogo on the 28th of this month.

I might be able to do the 28th since wife has a paper to write for her grad class. I haven't been to Oronogo yet so if my 7 gets in that would be a place to try.

Sounds good! Let me know!!

Dark Wolf:
Entrance fee is $12.00 per diver, air fills are $5.00. I am not sure if they rent gear or not (I think they do). I have been there 2 times, and really enjoyed both times. I think that you would want a thicker suit, if you get cold easy.
I normally dive Stockton Lake, but was thinking of going back to Oronogo in the next two weeks. Let me know if you guys would like to dive Stockton. Hope you have a great time.

Yes, they rent gear. I forget the rates though. I have never rented there. I live nearby and can dive that day. I would be glad to meet you down there. What do you want to do there?

Back
Top Bottom