looking for inexpensive drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_18

Registered
Reaction score
I am a university student and am looking for an inexpensive drysuit. Has anyone heard of brooks drysuits (B.C. based) or would i be better off in just the Bare Nex-gen.

Does anyone else have any suggestions.

thanks
eric misener

I think the bare nex gen is a great suit for the price. Sorry, don't know brooks.

bare has some good options, but currently I think the whites nexus 2 package is probobly the most bang for your buck

jumbo

Get a quality suit even if it means saving money a little longer before you purchase. You will save money in the long run as a good suit will give you years of service. You may have to skip a few pizza nights with the gang but it's worth it :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey I have owned 2 Bare dry suits,and for cold water dives my Bare Neoprene keeps me toasty,never cold no leaks,70+wreck dives and still going,off the rack fit,its hard to mess up,
My money spent on underwear from Wallmart or heck just some gym pants and sweater= I can buy pizza,beer,air fills,heck and gas for my dive boat VS the fancy shell suits!
Dive safe girls,
Brad

Scuba_18:
I am a university student and am looking for an inexpensive drysuit. Has anyone heard of brooks drysuits (B.C. based) or would i be better off in just the Bare Nex-gen.

Does anyone else have any suggestions.

thanks
eric misener
I used to have a Brooks sealsuit (with the B.C.-style inflator hose on the chest), but I don't think they've been around for years. I'd go with a used drysuit. I usually pay around $200 and they last me for around 2 years. I could pay $2000 and have one that lasts me 5 years, but maybe my theories on economics are out of date.

Whites (a kanuk product) is running show specials for their dealers, and any shop can be a dealer, so ask your shop about Whites, tell them you know about the DEMA special and you may get the shop to pass the savings along to you.

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay.... I got a fantastic deal a few weeks ago on a never been wet Diving Concepts proflex with pockets and front zip and forearm dump ..... $330 including shipping :11: The best part is, it fits better than the "custom" suit I bought 2 years ago and sent back 3 times for resizing and still doesn't fit right!

Before buying, I had a several email long exchange with the seller, mostly about the sizing. If it didn't fit, it would have been a $300 bummer! But she was honest about the measurements (it was a custom suit that was not cut correctly for her) and was patient in answering my many questions. If she had been at all vague, I would have passed on the transaction, as I have done many times.

This is a $2000+ suit if bought from the LDS ... it definitely pays to be patient!

The only thing I don't like about it is the latex neck seal.... I had finally upgraded my old suit to a neoprene seal and was spoiled... Now I'm just hoping this new suit's seal fails as fast as the old one's used to so I have a valid excuse to upgrade :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom