Looking for first reg set. Apeks XTX50 Status or other Apeks or Scubapro Mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunundrum: That's why I recommended something like the XTX40 or the R390 they are simple regs (without the adjustement knob) but they still have a Dive-Predive feature.

+1 for turnerjd: That's why I recommended the 40, it has the heat exchanger the 20 doesn't.

Also, on the side-line I don't really like the XTX seconds, I prefer the ATX series. The purge on these new regs are so small they are hard to find/press with thick gloves. But for the price they are going for new, I'd take them.

Important Notice: CHECK THE COST OF MAINTENANCE. BEFORE BUYING.

Long story short, I bought a reg-set in the states on special, actually a XTX200 set at around the same price your buying them now.
Life-time warranty parts.
Brought them to one of the two AL/Apeks shops around here and they wanted to charge me 240$ for a bi-annual checkup (yes parts are free).
Their logic was that its 60$ labor + 0$ parts x 4 pieces. 1x First Stage, 2x Second Stage & 1x Console.
Went to the other AL/Apeks dealer, told me the same story.

Sold them and bought SP regs, I now pay 60$ for the whole kit every year.... SP may have cost more upfront, but I'm not being milked by the LDS.

(BTW I had multiple problems with them, different techs every time, so I'm not buying Apeks only because of that.)
(One time I brought a Wing Recall Notice and they told me I had fabricated the recall notice on my computer since he has never seen it in his life... you know the Apeks inflator buttons that kept failing, that was like a common problem even for Halcyon...)

You do have a valid point, I should have specified clearly why.
I have no problem with these regulators, more likely that they wouldn't be my prefered choice.

1) I have used the egress once or twice in pool and did not like it.
2) I have not used the flight regulator but have read some pretty crappy reviews of it.
3) I try to buy things that are easy/common to get serviced should I ever need to get it fixed, I did not get the SP C300 because it's a fairly new design, and if I ever need to fix them while im stuck in the middle of Malysia, well I can probably find a diveshop that has part for a G250 but maybe not for the new C300.
4) The egress has 1 purpose, being an octo. While getting another 2nd stages as a octo is versatile. You can change it and use it on another rig.

I agree that I should not have stated it has DO NOT, more like I WOULD BE WARY OF.

For donation, I personally do not think that shape, size has much to do to a stressed diver.
While learning to dive in high-school, one of my friends shut down my dive-buddy's valve.
The first thing he grabbed was the reg in my mouth.
That's why I switched to long hose pretty fast.

I should put a disclaimer that I am not expert on regs, I usually state my Opinion and specify in a logical manner why I don't like it :wink:

Point 1: Yellow is such an ugly color :D

I have an egress It was my first octo. It is an OK reg but I would not buy it again for reason that it is is not similar with the rest of my seconds.
I was fooled by the guy saying its more comfortable to keep it on the bcd as it is flat. But at the end it turned out it did not matter.

Finally did it! Bought my first regulator today. After debating much about Scubamax (still have questions about brand/service longevity) and HOG (don't know a dealer nearby), I ended up getting the Apeks Status XTX50 DST for $400. This turns out to have been an even greater steal as the intended mark down was to $500 but the owner quoted me an incorrect price and decided to honor that. Just couldn't pass up this deal.

Now I am in the serious hunt for a good Octo. I want to have a octo which is relatively equivalent to the XTX50 second stage primary, balanced and adjustable. However I don't relish the thought of dropping another $250 for an octo only.

Was thinking about mixing and matching other brand octo second stages with the Apeks DST. Anyone have experiences with mixing two different brands. From my survey of the internet, it should be ok as long as the IP matches. The DST IP is 9-10 bar = 130-145 psi.

I am considering getting the Scubamax OT-9XAS which appears to be an Apex XTX50 clone and about $100. The website below states that the max IP for this is 155 psi
ScubaMax T-9XAS Balanced Second Stage Regulator, DISCOUNT DIVE REGULATOR BALANCED 2nd STAGE, Discount Scuba Octopus, Dive Octopus, Octo's, Diving Regulators
The first stage that it is made to be paired with has a listed adjustable IP of 130-138 psi
DISCOUNT Scuba Regulators | Discount Scuba Diving Regulators | Dive Regulators | Scuba Max RG-1002 Balanced Diaphragm Regulator, DISCOUNT SCUBA REGULATOR PACKAGES
I am thinking that this would be a reasonable strategy for my octo second stage

I would also consider getting a HOG second stage to match with this. Anyone tried this before? Would the IP of the Apeks DST work with a HOG second? Also I would need to find a HOG dealer near San Francisco...

My LDS really suggests that I stick with Apeks (or aqualung legend) for my octo

You can put pretty much put any first stage with any second stage without problems.
To be pedantic the Scubamax looks like a clone of the Aqualung LX (also an Apeks design) and the HOG is a clone of the Apeks ATX.
So the Scubamax is like the Legend octo.
The HOG is like the Apeks.
.....and I bet all 4 will take the same service kit.

Back
Top Bottom