Looking for first reg set. Apeks XTX50 Status or other Apeks or Scubapro Mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After renting regulators for the last 3 years I have finally decided to be a big boy and get my own set. I originally was thinking about getting a Scubapro MK17 (or MK25), but have heard good things about Apeks as well.

Went to my LDS today and was surprised to find that they are clearing out their Apeks XTX50 Status for $400. This seems like an incredible deal to me, but I realize that it's probably because everyone thinks that the Status display is completely gimmicky/useless. Looks like a normal XTX50 is >$600 new, so I guess I can just ignore the Status display.

Anyone have any thoughts about paying $200 less for the useless Status or paying more to get the regular XTX? Also, is there really any difference performance wise between the XTX50 and the XTX100/200? From prior posts it seems like this would be negligible.

Also, does anyone have any experience as to how the XTX50 compares to the MK17.

So far I am a vacation diver who has just completed my 50th dive, and am looking to be diving much more frequently, will be looking to start local diving in Monterey. I am looking to buy my last regulator first and get a set that will last me years and under any conditions that I may advance to.

Thanks

I can't see any problem with paying less for the Status compared to the XTX50 DST....although once I had it I'd be looking to find the regular end cap and converting it back to a DST.
MK17 G250/S600 vs Apeks XTX50 no advantage either way.
Apeks FSR/FST vs DST again nobody would be able to tell the difference.....same would be true if you swapped in the XTX20 UST.

As Fishpie said I would take the deal as it is a steal for that reg especially if they provide parts for life.
Apeks names are confusing check here for some details
Tortuga68's model & series guide to Apeks regs

XTX50 usually comes with DST first stage if you talk about a set. But in general XTX50 is the name of the second stage. For Scubapro MK17 is a name for the first stage which can come with different second stages S600 G250V A700 etc. I do not think anyone can tell a difference amongst them in terms of performance.

With SP you have more choice in terms of a second stage selection.

The main difference between those models would be that DST first stage has a turret swivel but MK17 does not. DST can also have the 5th port installed and have the routing similar to SP MK25

They are both fine regs and IMHO we are talking about style preferences here when you chose one over the other.

for $400 the Apeks status is a good buy especially new.

the status feature is pretty gimmicky, it can be removed fairly easily, and at not too much cost if my memory does not fail me. though does not "need" to be removed.

Performance wise it's doubtful one could tell the difference from a MK17 to a XTX50 (status or not) they are both high performance regulators and i'm sure you will be happy with either.

The XTX would be my choice.

Thanks guys that was very helpful. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the XTX50 DST Status as the price is right. Probably won't try to fiddle away with the status display, will go ahead and use it as intended for now. for $400 that leaves my plenty of dough to get an octo and gauges for the same price as a single SP MK17 G250!

This is a totally different issue but what you you think about unbalanced versus balanced octos? With the various setups I have rented/borrowed, the only grip I had about octos were random free-flows. I have heard that unbalanced octos may theoretically decrease this risk...for a significantly lower price. Guess the trade-off would be an increased WOP during true OOA situations, but would be ascending anyways if that case.

Octo......just get another Apeks and keep the venturi set to minus.

My octo is the same as my primary on my main rigs. Even on backups I have seconds for octos that are just as high quality as the primary. Putting a lesser performing reg on a back up is IMO a poor choice since I may also be the one that has to use it and if it does get donated I want the OOA diver to have as easy a time breathing as possible.

I'd say get a simpler good performance reg. With Apeks it's not hard. The XTX 40 is a good choice for an octo. XTX 50, 100, 200 are all the same 2nd but with some "upgrades".

Before buying the XTX 40 just check the price they are selling it at, usually octos are more expensive than what they are worth.
Example: SP has the R295 octo around 180$, the MK2/R295 combo sells at 300$...the MK2 sells at 200$

And please, don't take those Egrees Low-Profile Octos or the Apeks flight.

I dive with a MK17/G250V as primary and an Halcyon Aura (SP R390) has a secondary.
One is a better performance, then other is a small and bullet-proof reg.
I had two G250s but they are so big that it's pretty annoying to have as an octo (even more if its bungeed around your neck)
It's still a very good reg but it's has a simpler design, which means that whatever happens it will work. (it's like a compromise between the two)

Unbalanced octo are prone to free flow in my experience, they get dragged into the sand and cause a lot of issued over time ( granted my experience with them is limited to the rentals that have seen untold abuse).

a Balanced seem to be more forgiving in this aspect, they are easier to tune to "Octo" setting of 1.6"-1.7" and generally have a dive/predive lever to minimize free flowing at the surface. Sand and debrit also usualy has a harder time to make it's way down the air barrel to the Low pressure seat of the 2nd stage on a balanced 2nd Vs. a downstream.

XTX20 is generally a good buy for an octo.

Regards

Only go with the xtx20 if you do no cold water diving. The -20 series is missing the small heat exchanger between the second stage and the IP hose.

I have two -40 second stages, and this is all that is needed.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom