Looking for First Drysuit, Any Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for my first drysuit. I am looking for something good that is reasonable and is good quality.

I have heard of DUI, Diving Concepts, Whites, Mobbys, Andy's, Bare, so far. Can anybody recommend something good, is it better to go neoprene or membrane!

Thanks Ro.

What is your budget like?

Spend good $$ on a custom drysuit and a thick warm CUSTOM UNDERSUIT!

Go neoprene...

ronanm98:
Hi,

I am looking for my first drysuit. I am looking for something good that is reasonable and is good quality.

I have heard of DUI, Diving Concepts, Whites, Mobbys, Andy's, Bare, so far. Can anybody recommend something good, is it better to go neoprene or membrane!

Thanks Ro.

Depends - if you're into deep tec diving then trilaminate is probably better because it doesn't compress with depth. Otherwise, neoprene is probably easier - you can always dive in jeans and T-shirt if it's not too cold. Neoprene seals are also a lot tougher than latex and don't leak if sized correctly, despite what latex fans claim :)

DUI are apparently great if you don't mind that they cost twice as much as everything else. Personally, I use a Northern Diver DiveMaster which I'm quite happy with.

I've owned the O'Neill neoprene and the Dive-Rite shell; Ive got at least a hundred dives in each.
My opinions:
Neoprene seals leak more than latex
Neoprene is more durable
Neoprene doesn't require underwear unless the water's below about 68F; as low as about 60F for a short dive.
Shell is more comfortable
Shell dries more quickly after a dive
Neoprene has the additional buoyancy issue of suit compression
Shell is easier and quicker to patch on-site
---
My preference is for the shell - and the Dive-Rite 905 is a good one.
Rick

I just received a USIA drysuit. I have used it on 6 dives so far and have no complaints. It is a shell type with 2 piece diverware. The water has been really too warm for drysuit diving, but I was trying to get some experience before the cold sets in.

Dan

The suit that fits you best is the right suit for you. Go custom cut if at all possible, as every extra inch of material will throw off your buoyancy and create excess drag in the water.

IMHO, save your money and get the right suit if you can't afford it right off the bat.

You can buy a brand new O'Neill neoprene suit for $500, add $150 for thermals. There are better suits...but they are not worth triple and double the cost. If you dive deep, add another shot of air to manage the compression issue.

--Matt

Ro,

You asked about drysuits in general. I have two CF-200's from DUI. One is the CF-200X custom cut for me with many modifications done by the factory. The other is one that I bought used, and had the factory rework for me. The used suit had been used by an oyster diver, and it stood up to that hard usage quite well.

They are somewhat more expensive, but if cared for properly, you should get at least 10 years diving, and usually more, from them.

The crushed neoprene used by DUI is tough, and comfortable, and does not compress with depth. It is pre-compressed. It also offers some insulation, so in moderate waters, thick undersuits are not necessary. If you get the front entry suit, getting it on and off is a breeze.

If you get a new suit, get the factory's Zip-Seals on at least the wrists, and get a spare set. If you tear a seal, replacing it standing on the deck of the dive boat is child's play.

Last but not least, get the Rock Boot option. I have to transit rocky shores carrying equipment, and move around on the deck of boats littered with heavy equipment. The Rock Boots will protect the soles of your feet far better than any other option.

Just my PPO2's worth.

Cheers!

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom