Looking for experts on FL diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand that statement. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just trying to understand. So if you don't have to take a boat to it it's not the real thing? If you don't go "off shore" it's not the real thing?

BHB is a very unique site because of the tides and it's location in Lake Worth Lagoon and proximity to a very large inlet. It is in no way fake. The bridge is obviously man made as is the park/beach but the life that occupies the site is 100% real and natural. It is a breeding ground for many species found in our waters. You will see things in aggregate at BHB that you won't see anywhere else in the same aggregation. I don't understand how it isn't the "real thing." It's not a reef or a shipwreck. It is a shallow lagoon/estuary. That doesn't make it not the real thing. That just makes it a different, unique thing.

You're absolutely welcome to your opinion. No worries there. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Yes... I realize I sound combative and don't mean to.

It isn't that I think you HAVE to be in a boat or even in open water, you certainly "feel" the power of the water in the bridge with the tides.
What I see with the BHB experience is a package experience that requires a lot of compromises for a final result that is "less than" in my opinion.
Like everything I see reasons to override this opinion: a photographer looking for a particular species, for someone that lives very close by, for the traveler that got weathered out.
What I don't see is to plan a trip from far away and dedicate a special day to it. You've done many dives there so you know the ins and outs of the area, you know what to expect , people that see the magnificent photos and read all the hype may or may not be able to experience that advertised bliss.

That's my thing with the bridge, the expectations are not realistic. I've seen this place in the same lists as Bonaire and other amazing locations. Sorry, I certainly don't think it belongs in that level.

If I live in Ohio and Gilboa is what I have... Then great for Gilboa yeah!!!!
But in SFL the bridge is just one of the backup sites, not the top.

The problem with many people that dive the BHB is that they are looking for big stuff instead of looking for the really cool small stuff that is everywhere! Although I have seen plenty of large creatures also!

That's my thing with the bridge, the expectations are not realistic. I've seen this place in the same lists as Bonaire and other amazing locations. Sorry, I certainly don't think it belongs in that level.

I agree 1000% with this statement!

BHB is part of my regular site rotation but I'm local. I know what to expect, how to dive the site and when to avoid the site. Many others do not. It is definitely helpful to hire a guide if you want to get the most out of the site. I did that for my first dive there. That obviously makes it no longer a "free" dive but it is worth it if you want to see as much as possible on your dive or two there while on a trip.

Now ... back to the intent of the OP. I think we have beaten the BHB-horse into submission. :)

Well yeah ... Of course we are spoiled, I don't deny that.....I recognize that Boynton reefs are way better, but just not as convenient for me and I'm lazy.... And spoiled .....and walk out of your room to do enjoy an ocean shore dive. .

Hits home, since I grew up in South Florida and have taken for granted how great our diving is. To sound even more spoiled, I never liked Boynton that much, to me, if I'm driving, I'd rather go 20 min further and dive Jupiter.

Reactions: Ana
Hits home, since I grew up in South Florida and have taken for granted how great our diving is. To sound even more spoiled, I never liked Boynton that much, to me, if I'm driving, I'd rather go 20 min further and dive Jupiter.
See? Right there.... My levels of lazyness are such that I can't even remember the last time I did Jupiter. don't mind driving up there is the return trip that is just nah. Not happening.
Back in the 80's when I was invencible I'd go to Venice on a Saturday and then to Jupiter on Sunday.
Now I don't even take the gear off the boat from Saturday to Sunday .

So if someone calls me spoiled, I have to STFU.

So if someone calls me spoiled, I have to STFU.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Love that!

I once drove 15 hours from Indy to Morehead City NC only to be blown out 4 straight days. I drove home with dry gear. I will NEVER take SFL diving for granted (I hope!).

@Rob9876, you need a boat out of Pompano. Great wrecks though!

I will NEVER take SFL diving for granted (I hope!).

I try not to take it for granted.
I'm at work and today this is what see
IMG_20200930_123423861_HDR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom