Looking for everything in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diva and Dano, thanks for the tips and the websites. Looks like they've set up the shore sites for easy diving. I like to carry as little as possible, so I'm glad I won't need a reel and markers. Also glad to hear you can hit a 100' depth and stage your way back up. Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. My wife doesn't have a problem with depth but she loves the shallow reefs because she enjoys the little critters hiding. We've seen plenty or large marine life and as we all know there's a whole lot more life in a reef than open water. Thanks...Anyone else reading this post, please send me some opinions on resorts fitting our needs. I don't have to book for another couple of weeks. Great stuff here. That's why I joined this board.

Scubagal, I sent you a PM. Outstanding trip report. I would recommend everyone read it.

waynel:
...A beautiful woman but not real strong so she doesn't like shore diving.

Shore diving is very easy on Bonaire's west side and the swim out to the shallow reef is short and wildlife-rich. On the other hand, it's silly to say that Bonaire is not the right location for you if you want to boat dive instead. Via boat you can go to the same sites as you can from shore as well as the sites not accessible from shore. Bonaire is the perfect island to provide a wonderful vacation for both of you.

My wife and I stay at Sand Dollar and love it but the beach there is very small so it may not be quite what you want. The dive operation there, Bonaire Dive and Adventure (also accommodating Den Laman), is superb, especially for boat diving. One of my favorite dive masters there is biologist/naturalist Jerry Ligon (Google him) who will teach you while you dive. I never tire of the house reef, Bari Reef, which is known for 'species diversity' and provides a gorgeous night dive. The shore diving there is especially easy.

--Dan

waynel:
No, my wife doesn't need or want long walks along the beach. When she hits the beach it's to lay out and not move. Rough entry isn't a problem, she'll just do it to cool off. So, these posts look encouraging except for ScubaJW's post that Bonaire isn't right for boat diving. Is that because there are no deep dive sites there, or nothing worth seeing at 90 ft.?

Another question on shore dives. How's navigating those house reefs or shore dive entries away from the resorts? Are there reference points from the entries (rope to the reef, markers, etc.) Do you have to pull a diver down marker with you, heavy boat traffic over those reefs. etc. Any sites where I can an idea?

DesertDiver...You're thinking about the wife/girlfriend thing all wrong. You GET a girlfriend or wife who is hooked on diving like us then you have TWO incomes to pay for it. That's why I have so many requirements for this trip. I get to dive everday and the wife gets some of what she wants. It's only because she's certified (AOW at that) at all that I can limit all our vacations to dive destinations.

Great tips guys on resorts! Hoping to get more first hand accounts of staying and diving. Thanks.

I would disagree that Bonaire isn't good for boat dives. Plus, Klein Bonaire is a tad far away to shore dive although I think there might be a water taxi. I didn't use it and have no details.

I never used a float marker when I did shore diving, nor did I see any when we were boat diving.

There is a sail boat (tri-maran?) permanetly anchored at Divi Flamingo. There is a HUGE anchor (20-30 feet tall?) under the boat with a memorial to some doctor. It sits right on the edge of the reef. It is easy to take a compass bearing on the boat from the dive dock. Swim out to the anchor then go roughly north/south on the reef to sight see. Anchor is an easy-to-spot check point for your return trip.

The beach and loungers at Divi Flamingo will probably meet your wife's requirements. I am not pushing the Flamingo. It's just that is the only place on which I have first hand info.

As for wives and girl friends, if you have any easy-keeper, rich candidate in mind, have them send me an application. :D

Art

Waynel...Check this place out...
http://www.harbourvillage.com/
I've been traveling to Bonaire for over 20 years & think it's one of the nicest (if you can afford it).
One caveat, not crazy about the beach dive right in front. In order to do a good beach dive here, you have to cross to inlet channel to arrive at "Something Special" dive site which is very nice. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be perfect :)

I've only stayed at Buddy Dive but in many ways it could suit your needs. Next to the pool bar (you can get drinks while in the pool) there is a nice sandy area with lounge chairs for laying in the sun. While there is no shoreline entry from this point, as it is on a small cliff, there is a nice view of the water. There is also a ladder down to the water here. For cooling down in the ocean after laying out, head down to the dive docks. There is a very nice spot there for swimming around with the fishies. My wife and I spent a lot of time just hanging out in that cove cooling off. The shore diving here couldn't be any easier...giant stride off of the dock or ladder in/ladder out.

A wonderful breakfast is included every morning and the tables overlook the water/dive area.

Shore diving along this coast is super easy. You don't have to fight waves to get out and in many places the reef is close to shore. The toughest part is just watching your step to enter the water in the remote sites. Some of the rocks can be a tad tricky.

The balconies all face North/South though, it I'm not mistaken. You may not like that as much since you want great sunset views of the water.

Here are links to our Bonaire pictures. This way you can perhaps get a feel for the resort though it may not be what you are looking for. I'm the blond goober. lol
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=trinniaboo&aid=576460762394067197&pid=&wtok=k.9WdO.7AQzAJBPcOJ6ziA--&ts=1174239601&.src=ph#page1

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=trinniaboo&aid=576460762394089520&pid=&wtok=Tq_Fiesww_SR1_M_6ohhEw--&ts=1174239654&.src=ph#page1

I was in Bonaire last month, and fell in love with it. I did it more on the Frugal side (<$1200 including air for a week, with truck, studio w/kitchen, and free air/NITROX, but no meals included). The shore diving was just what I wanted. Lots of diving for little expense. I did 28 dives (had to abort one because of a cold and couldn't equalize). One guy in the group did 30. I don't have anything to compare it to, except snorkeling in Cozumel, but I didn't find the shore diving strenous. But, that's all so relative. It was between 10 and 30 yards from where we parked the truck to the water, usually easy walk or stairs (yes, the have built stairs to access some site from shore). Then another 20 to 50 yards (max) to the reef. We usually swam out on the surface to the bouy (I think almost every site is marked with a bouy), then dove down to conserve air. We usually went to 80-100 feet, swam up current (if there was any) then came up to 40-60 feet on the return, and then a final swim at ~15 ft for our safety stop. Then back to the shore. The hardest part was at some sites the rocks (coral) were very slippery, and there where some holes and then large rocks again deeper to navigate to. This was usually only 10-20 feet, and then we were able to float. I wouldn't trade this for boat diving - since I want to max the amount of time underwater to practice skills. Free unlimited shore diving versus $50-$75 for a one - two tank boat dive was a no brainer for me.
I don't think there is a water taxi to the Klien Bonaire (the island) since I don't think you can dock/beach there. All the trips I know of were boat dives. And, it's illegal to anchor a boat around Bonaire (but they have the bouy's at each dive site to tie to). I found no reason to do the boat dives since there was so much to do from shore, for free.
The place I stayed was wonderful (Eden Beach- with a nice beach) but it is kind of no frills. It has a full kitchen, so fully functional, and great people, but not 5-star material (which I wasn't looking for - do you see a thread here?). The Wanna Dive shop located on the property was wonderful, although I was with a group that included instructors and dive masters, so I didn't use them for that. The gear I rented was as good or better than what I rent from my LDS. I was quite impressed! I'm not sure I'd call it romantic though (I'm single too). Oh, did I mention all the free diving/air/NITROX for the week too? :D
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have, remembering my relative inexperience with other scuba resorts. I plan to return to Bonaire if I go no where else, again next year.

If you're there 10 days & she's only diving about 4, unless she likes touring the island & some nature photography, she might be a tad bored. Maybe not, but if so, consider Curacao for more non-diving stuff (or so I'm told).

At Bonaire, the dive site Oil Slick has the option for a giant stride entry. Maybe the most 'giant' stride you've ever made, but it's there & actually cool to do. I did it twice.

Eden Beach has a small pier (I guess you'd call it) that you can giant stride off of.

Bonaire's got some stuff to see at depth. I lay on my belly in the sand near the wreck of the Hilma Hooker at 99 feet. I think I got around 90 feet deep at the wreck of the Bakanal at Eden's Rubble.

Richard.

1_T_Submariner:
RDWHAB,
Great Pics. You link had one to many http s at the beginning.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=trinniaboo&aid=576460762394089520&pid=&wtok=Tq_Fiesww_SR1_M_6ohhEw--&ts=1174239654&.src=ph#page1

How did the tanks work at Buddy dive? Do they let you take a few?
Thanks!

Oopsie, thanks for pointing that out. I fixed both links. Buddy has two places to pick up tanks. They have air and nitrox tanks at each station. First, you can pick up tanks right on the docks where you set up your gear. Second, they literally have a 'drive thru' where you can get tanks and rinse gear. The second is ideal for venturing to sites around the island because you don't have to lug tanks all over the place.

At each station you can check tank pressure and nitrox mixture. You are free to simply grab and go with air but the nitrox must be logged out on a clipboard (name. room#, tank#, pressure, max depth). They do not recommend taking more than two tanks per person at any given time simply to reduce chances of theft.

Waterskier, I heard that there was a water taxi to Klein. I believe that it left from town and made hourly trips for $15. I never did get to confirm that though.

Back
Top Bottom