Looking for employment in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SADivemaster

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking towards heading to Mexico for the better part of the year, in the hope of working on a boat or as a dive guide. Any suggestions as to where I should go about looking? Never been to Mexico, so not too sure about what different locations have to offer.

Major Mexican hubs for scuba include:

Cancun, Playa del Carmen & Cozumel on or near the east coast of the mainland, Yucatan Peninsula region.

Los Cabos & La Paz on the Baja.

Puerto Vallarta on the west coast of the mainland.

There are a number of smaller locations, but these are good places to start.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

I encourage you to thoroughly research your options before expecting to show up and find a job as a dive guide, particularly in Cozumel.

I can't really speak much for the other destinations, but here in Cozumel, work permits (FM3) for foreign divemasters are non-existent. If you have an instructor rating and some special qualifiers, it is possible, but not likely that you would be granted a work permit; however, they are rarely issued anymore either. Furthermore, you must be sponsored by a mexican employer, you cannot just go to the immigration office and request a permit. Finding a shop to sponsor you with your intentions of being in Mexico for the short term will prove another challenge. The island is full of Mexican nationals qualified to fill these positions, and a foreigner who wants to come work for just awhile as they travel through is not highly looked upon here. The diving industry here is highly competitive and the reality of obtaining employment as a divemaster is slim to none.

I do not mean to sound discouraging, but you should know what you are up against.

Good luck to you.

Christi:
I encourage you to thoroughly research your options before expecting to show up and find a job as a dive guide, particularly in Cozumel.

I can't really speak much for the other destinations, but here in Cozumel, work permits (FM3) for foreign divemasters are non-existent. If you have an instructor rating and some special qualifiers, it is possible, but not likely that you would be granted a work permit; however, they are rarely issued anymore either. Furthermore, you must be sponsored by a mexican employer, you cannot just go to the immigration office and request a permit. Finding a shop to sponsor you with your intentions of being in Mexico for the short term will prove another challenge. The island is full of Mexican nationals qualified to fill these positions, and a foreigner who wants to come work for just awhile as they travel through is not highly looked upon here. The diving industry here is highly competitive and the reality of obtaining employment as a divemaster is slim to none.

I do not mean to sound discouraging, but you should know what you are up against.

Good luck to you.

You did it and not that long ago. 2002-2003 acording to your website.

When I was there last week I was offed a winter job teaching without even asking the operator.

Ron

Yes I did, it was actually in early 2001 but I also started a Mexican Corporation. My situation is much different than someone simply wanting to come down here and work for a little while.

Actually, when I first applied for my work papers as an instructor, I was denied because the immigration office said they were no longer issuing work permits for for foreign divemaster or instructors. When they realized that I was in the process of forming my corporation, and that I would be actually contributing to the economy rather than taking a job from a local, I was granted an FM3.

Trust me, I do know what I am talking about. I also employ people here, so I am quite familiar with the labor laws and immigration laws regarding foreign employment.

If you were offered a winter job, that is the exception rather than the rule. The shop may have been willing to sponsor you for the short term or allow you to work under the table, which is not a good idea for the employer OR the employee. Employers can and DO incur HEAVY fines for employing foreigners without proper working papers. The employer must employ 10 Mexican nationals for every foreigner. Furthermore, the specific job of the foreign employee must be approved by immigration. That approved job is the only capacity in which a foreign employee may work. The employee if caught working illegally (without papers or outside of the approved capacity), will be deported immediately and prohibited from returning to the island for a long period of time, possibly forever depending on the mood of the immigration officials. Working without proper papers here is NOT encouraged.

I am just speaking honestly here, like I said, do your homework before making the move and having high expectations of easily finding employment.

Thanks for the great info.
Actually I have a Government job up here in Western Canada.
Having worked with the Department for over 25 years I have at least 5 or 6 weeks vacation to use up every year.......

I will be taking early retirement in 2 to 5 years, at that point I may be looking at moving to the tropics.

I do , however ,look at businesses and properties for sale in Coz all the time.

I do understand a bit about setting up business in Mexico. I did not realixe that it was up to 10 Nationals to hire.I am just speculating but I assume these do not have to be full time positions. But....I believe the minimum wage is something like 50 pesos a day.About $ 4.60 a day per employee.($46.00 total)

Given that the dive industry in Mexico is usually in US Dollars this is a vey small business expence if you are not renting prime space.

Coz is nice . I don't know if I would move there ,but one of your largest operations,Dive House is actually owned by a couple from my city.No,it was not them who I dived with or offered me "work". I was with an independent operator such as yourself who has been there 10 years.

Once again,lots of great info that I can use to plan my "retirement".

Take Care
Ron

Yes, minimum wage here is very low; however I pay my crew much better than that. They work hard and they deserve much more than minimum wage. Most shops pay divemasters by the trip. I pay a base plus extra for trips and as a result have an exceptional crew.

As far as working as a foreigner, I am surprised that an independent operator would take the risk of hiring a foreigner under the table. Many people either are unfamiliar with the laws or they think it won't catch up with them. If it is a foreign operator, the risks are greater, but I know of Mexican business owners here who have paid heavy fines for employing foreigners illegally. Not a risk I am willing to take...I would rather employ a local for several reasons.

Anyway, good luck and congrats on your soon to be retirement status!

I really think the offer to me would be more like me doing some casual teaching,or check out dives in exchange for room,board and some boat dives.

I actually have dove most of the reefs and "The Sunk". I could actually DM
a few reefs right now. I still have yet to get to Maracaibo and Barracuda but dove San Juan last week.Counted 17 spotted Eagle Rays.

Take Care
Ron

I also started a Mex Corporation for our dive operation and have to tell you to listen to Christi - what she says is correct.

Apart from the legal side which you should take as seriously as we do there is the problem that you don't know the reefs, the currents, the weather, the marine life. We all try to give our customers the best and safest experience possible this includes the local knowledge.

There is a chance you might pickup some casual work but that's what it is a chance. Room and board in exchange for diving is romantic and we would always choose a local who is qualified and knows the area first.

That said you'll love the area and I'm all for promoting more people from the South lands to visit.

Aussie in Puerto Morelos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom