Looking for diving near the Space Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,
My wife and I are probably heading down to Merritt Island (sp) for a wedding in November. Are there any boats in that area, mainly for wreck diving? And do the boats there have a problem with doubles (we both use them), or stage bottles? Looking for depths 150 fsw or less. As for training/experience, both DMs, deco certs, and I am an actively working DM on a NC boat, so used to long rides, whitecaps, currents. We would be willing to drive up to an hour (I guess), if it was worth it.....
Any info would be greatly appreciated,
-J

Diving Guide to Underwater Florida by Ned Deloach has a few listings for the Space Coast, I was kind of surprised!
I'll check the book and post some of the sites in the morning.

Hi all,
My wife and I are probably heading down to Merritt Island (sp) for a wedding in November. Are there any boats in that area, mainly for wreck diving? And do the boats there have a problem with doubles (we both use them), or stage bottles? Looking for depths 150 fsw or less. As for training/experience, both DMs, deco certs, and I am an actively working DM on a NC boat, so used to long rides, whitecaps, currents. We would be willing to drive up to an hour (I guess), if it was worth it.....
Any info would be greatly appreciated,
-J

There are no regularly scheduled dive charters running between Jupiter Inlet and Ponce Inlet in Daytona. Ponce Inlet is right at an hour from Merritt Island. The operator there is Sea Dog Divers in New Smyrna Beach. They run a good trip and have a nice Newton dive vessel.

I have relatives around Orlando and the diving options within an hours drive are (1) Sea Dog in NSB, (2) Blue Springs in Orange City, and (3) the Epcot aquarium dive.

Sea Dog Divers is a good boat. Mostly spearos, as long as you are OK with that. This was the first boat I was ever on that made me pass a spearo quiz, which is a good sign IMO. The wrecks are all at about 80 ft and they pump nitrox (which is a good combination).

Thanks, I appreciate all the info. Spearing is a normal day's business on our boat, 2 of the Captains are preyty far into it. I'll check out Sea Dog.
-J

Sea Dog-- I believe that is the same outfit that was there 1995-96 if it is they are kudos.

I live on the Space Coast (Melbourne) and go 2 hours south to West Palm to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom