Looking for diving advice in Puerto Plata (if there is any!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Staying in the Playa Dorada area of Puerto Plata in April, so not looking for the best place to dive in DR. Already know it's on the other side of the island from us.

Was wondering if anyone has done any diving along the north coast around Puerto Plata. Have heard Sosua is a good area, but know that there are dive ops in Playa Dorada also. Also if anyone has first hand experience with drive time to Bayahibe from Puerto Plata I'm not ruling that out.

If anyone with experience in this area has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, Sosua has largely been destroyed. When I was a kid it seemed like you could reach out and touch the coral gardens when you were riding on a boat. I last dived there several years ago and the first coral we found was at about 70 feet. The divemaster carried a machete with him and was harvesting black coral as we went. I have not been back since.

One of the two encounters I have had with a whale shark was off Sosua. The diving itself--and this was 10 years ago--was not memorable.

I was in Sosua last week of December. Went for one dive. Viz was bad as there had been a lot of rains. Not that interesting. Regretted spending the time for the dive. One of the locals I befriended in Las Terrenas told me he goes to Bonaire to dive and never dives on DR.

Slightly OT, but I will say we ate amazingly well in DR. I hope you experience the same. Driving (not diving) at night is quite an adventure.

Appreciate the feedback. Sure wish there would have been a little more positive info regarding diving by now. Hope other activities/sightseeing in the area makes up for the diving I may not be doing!

Appreciate the feedback. Sure wish there would have been a little more positive info regarding diving by now. Hope other activities/sightseeing in the area makes up for the diving I may not be doing!
There is a lot to do and see in DR. I would recommend brushing up on your Spanish (I have no idea how fluent you may be). I had to brush off a number of cobwebs! It is a beautiful country and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself tremendously.

Slightly OT, but I will say we ate amazingly well in DR. I hope you experience the same. Driving (not diving) at night is quite an adventure.
Driving has lately become more than an adventure. Two major league ball players were killed in separate accidents last week in the DR.

Driving has lately become more than an adventure. Two major league ball players were killed in separate accidents last week in the DR.
If you drive in the DR, driving in southern Europe better be no big deal for you (I'm half Greek and have driven all over Greece). But the DR ... that is a step up in insanity. You really have to pay attention and have a good idea how big your car really is.

If you get a car rental, pay for the full insurance.

Have found that SeaPro Divers is located in the resort we are staying at in Playa Dorada. They shuttle divers to Sosua about 20-25 minutes away. The Zingara wreck (purposely sunk in 1992) supposedly sits in 117 ft. of water and is one of a bunch of dive sites in the area.

But the DR ... that is a step up in insanity. You really have to pay attention and have a good idea how big your car really is. If you get a car rental, pay for the full insurance.

Think we have decided on taxis if we need to go somewhere or for sightseeing!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom