Looking for Divemaster Cert locations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

August West

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I am new to the board and have not really gotten much in the way of responses to my questions….but persistence is a virtue. My question is if anyone knows of any good dive shops in which I can get my Divemaster certification this summer. I am looking at either Central or South America only.

Thank you,

August

August West:
Hi Gang,

I am new to the board and have not really gotten much in the way of responses to my questions….but persistence is a virtue. My question is if anyone knows of any good dive shops in which I can get my Divemaster certification this summer. I am looking at either Central or South America only.

Thank you,

August

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

Sorry you're dissappointed, but your "Central or South America only" restrictions narrow down possibilities. I'll ask Roatan Man to look at your requests; he seems to know the areas well...

don

:D

August West:
Hi Gang,

Thank you,

August

Are you looking to get your certification in Central and South America, or are you looking to get your certification and then get a Divemaster job in central/S. America? If the former is your plans the best bet is to get on the web site of one of the certification agencies (NAUI, PADI, SSI, etc.) Most of the agencies have a rating system for shops. Once you find a shop in the area with a good rating then ask around for personal experience. The training agencies compile a lot of data from a lot of divers and look at safety history along with a lot of other factors.
The same is true if you want to get certified in the US, but you will have a lot better chance of getting some divers with personal experience with a particular shop. Depending on where you are at in Florida I might be able to point you to some to check out based on my experience diving with them, but I have not taken any cert classes through any shops in Florida.

Hope that helps, and good luck, DM if run through an instructor who truely wants to make you a better diver and a compitent DM will kick your butt! IF run through an instructor who only is looking to make a few bucks is an expensive waste of your time.

August West:
Hi Gang,

Don (above) i.m.'d me to your question. I may know the CA area well, but we have to come to a meeting of the minds- you and the dive industry, that is. I write this response not so much to you, and experienced diver with good credentials per your profile, but to other 'newbie diver' posters as well.

If you have enough money to support yourself and pay for the course, I could suggest several operations on Roatan or Utila. If you are looking for a trade for work deal, it could take years of slave labor on your part.

You can complete a DM certification in two weeks IF you are an experienced, comfortable diver and if you take the First Aid/CPR portion back home. Then you would have to pre-study all of the certifying agency materials and do all of the knowledge reviews and pretty well memorize the Encyclopedia of Diving. You should master the tables (and if PADI, the wheel as well). You could get Rescue Diver and D.M. in that two week period.

There would be no benefit to being in paradise, even if you extended that process to fours weeks. You would be drained.

If you have some reserves of cash, I would suggest ProDive in Ft. Lauderdale (and while you're there, continue on thru OWSI, it's the same book work). [you already are rescue/medic and live in Florida, anyway] There is no better operation in the USA.

For a couple of bucks more you could do Utila, many select the College of Diving. Throw in a few mor Lempiras and you could do it at Dockside Dive Center at CoCoView staying nearby in an inexpensive lodging, training with the PADI facility there.

I have observed this two week process at Dockside and it wasn't pretty, but it was indeed effective. DDC at CCV is owned by Patty Grier Rutledge who grew up on Ralph Erickson's right hand. (Ralph had something to do with PADI). She was instrumental in implementing, critiquing and perfecting may of PADI's processes at the street level.

They will beat you senseless. Anyone that goes through that process could easily pass the OWSI IE in-water tests. The only thing they would need to polish would be classroom presentation skills, then they would have the OWSI in a short time at any IDC. This is a first class experience with no bailing wire and twine.

Go to http://www.cocoviewresort.com and click on PADI's Dockside Dive Center. They can arrange to have the pre study materials sent to you in Florida right then and there.

The Bay Islands College of Diving at the Utila Lodge is at http://www.roatan.com/utilalodge.htm

If you want NAUI, The well respected NAUI god Tim O'Leary at American Diving of S Padre Island TX started classes on the North side of Roatan, I think at Bay Islands Beach resort www.divesouthpadre.com or find out through NAUI.

all I can say is that if you want to get your dm at your own speed this is the place to be: Utila Dive Centre, i do not work there or anything, I just know they are really friendly, nice year round weather and the place where the whale shark is the 365 days of the year! :11:

www.utiladivecentre.com

August West:
Hi Gang,

Thank you,

August

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom