looking for dive shop in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walendvay

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the scoop:

we are staying in mid January 2013 north near Napili (north of Lahiana).

My wife and I are both experienced divers looking for a low key dive outfit. Would like to dive the crater and anywhere else that may be good in January. We prefer boat dives.

Our ideal outfit is something similar to what Patrice runs over on Kona. Small outfit with no up-sell, etc.

Any suggestions? It seems like many of the outfits on Maui are quite large. Maybe large is OK?

thanks.

I dove with B&B last year and liked it a lot. It's in Kihei and the harbor is also in Kihei so you guys have to drive a little bit. We left harbor around 5:30AM so we were the first boat in the crater every morning. It's a small/medium dive op with excellent crew and food. We couldn't dive the back wall due to weather condition but the inside of Molokini was also great. Give B&B a shot if you want to dive Molokini

see if Extended Horizons would work for you. They're in Lahaina. We stayed up in Napili one year and it's a short drive. I'm fairly sure they only take 12 divers - it's not a big boat...Scuba Dive Maui 808 667 0611 Scuba Dive Lanai Extended Horizons - Maui's Leading Green Dive Shop - Lahaina, Hawaii

They don't go to Molokini though, from that area you'd need to get on one of the bigger Lahaina Divers boats - probably not what you want - they have 2 46' Newtons so there can be a lot of divers. The best we've ever done with them was about 12 pax mid-week in the summer. Their boat is nice though for the ride back from Molokini when the tradewinds pick up - that's why the Kihei boats leave so early. Scuba Dive Lanai, Molokini, Molokai, and Maui | Lahaina Divers

Or drive to Kihei, either B&B or Mike Severns are options - there's others also. None of the Kihei boats are very big since they launch from the boat ramp. Severns takes 12 max and leaves at 6AM. General Information Mike Severns Diving Maui To ensure getting to Kihei at 5:30 be leaving Napili at 4:30...there's one road, morning employee traffic to the resorts, and if whales are seen people slow down or pull off along the side of the road.

Maybe Maui Diamond II would work for you. They're out of Maalaea Harbor - about 1/2 way between Lahaina and Kihei and go to Molokini almost daily. IDK what their max diver load is but it's a smaller boat. Scuba Diving, Snorkeling at Molokini Crater, Turtle Town - Maui - Maui Diamond Sea Sports I'd allow 45mins. to drive there - it could be slightly less - I didn't drive that day.

Bring a change of clothes and visit the Maui Ocean Center while you're down there. They have a shark tank dive as well. Maui Ocean Center | The Hawaiian Aquarium | Maui Family Activity | (808) 270-7000

Maui Dive Shop also leaves from Maalaea - they have a Prodive 48' boat and will take 24. They feed divers from all their shops on Maui so it can be crowded - it was for us over 10 years ago. They tend to have more beginners on the boat - although they'll have their own DM.

If you're looking for a small operator who has a very comfortable boat, gives very personalized service, and limits to 6 divers, call John at Dive & Sea.

Besides the others mentioned above, Ed Robinsons does a great job with a max of 12 divers on the boat (except Tuesdays when the limit is 10 for the 3-tank charter). They also offer more advanced dives on Sundays, Tuesdays, Wedensdays, and Fridays.

Prodiver Maui SCUBA Dive Maui | Prodiver | Molokini | Maui Dive Boat runs a small boat with great DM's and semi valet service for multiple days. They usually do Molokini (crater) and then a 2nd dive along the coast off of Makena. We have done more advanced sites (back side and deep) if the conditions and others on the boat allow. They are out of Kihei and it's a gnarly drive from Napili for the 5:45 am departure so be aware.

Don't be afraid of Lahaina divers, they run larger boats (which I love for comfort esp with winter swells), they leave from Lahaina at 8 so you can sleep a bit later, and they group by experience. Better divers will be first in and last out - but they do cap the dives at around an hour. Lanai'i is great as is Molokini (even with the longer boat ride from Lahaina). We have dove with both companies for the last three years and will definitely be back for more this summer! Night shore dives at Black rock are a snap if the seas are flat. Rent your tanks and lead (if you decide to shore dive) from MAUI DIVING SCUBA CENTER | BEGINNER DIVERS | SCUBA referral DIVEs | Certification and Introductory Dives | BOAT DIVE| BEACH snorkel through NAUI, PADI ,SSI diving Courses for the beginner Diver on THE ISLAND OF Maui Hawaii. in Lahaina!!

Have a blast!! Try a shore dive with Shaka Doug, or a scooter dive with Scubahawk if you want to explore the Wailea/Makena area!!

All the suggestions are good. Debbie and I are big fans of and almost always dive with Lahaina Divers if we are doing boat dives. However, I think the best deal for renting tanks and weights if you are going to do any shore diving is with Maui Dive Shop, and they have a location in Kaanapali, very close to where you are staying.
DivemasterDewnnis

I don't believe the Kaanapali Maui Dive Shop at Whaler's Village rents tanks and weights anymore (though I may be wrong). Plus if the OP is staying in Napili, the Kahana location would be much closer. :wink:

While you may prefer boat dives, it is my experience that you will miss some of the best diving if you don't shore dive. The Mala Wharf is great fun for example. Some of the best diving (actually, probably the best diving) I've done in Maui has been from the shore.

My only experience in Mauii is with Lahaina Divers. Our time share is nearer Napili than Ka'anapali and Lahaina is closer by at least 30 minutes to Mala Landing near Kehei. Lahaina divers leave pier closer to 8 out of Lahaina. They were really great. On our night dive my daughter was not certified to dive the Cartheginian wreck at close to 95 feet. She stayed on the boat but the crew took really good care of her. When I complained to management she did one tank and not two they gave me a discount for the dive no problems.

I am a boat captain for Maui Dive Shop so clearly that's my vote! things are slowing down now too, so there will probably be only a small number of customers on the charter... Check the out! [video=youtube_share;ALY4LC-oyxI]http://youtu.be/ALY4LC-oyxI[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom