Looking for dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_RN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The Army has temporarily relocated me to San Antonio for the next few months. Is there anywhere close by that I can dive (prefer within 50 miles, but all suggestions welcome). I am itchin' to get back in the water. I also need to rent gear because I don't have any of my stuff with me here. Thanks in advance!!!

Well, there's Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, Aquarena Springs, San Marcos River, Comal River... And that's just between Austin and S.A. Aquarena Springs requires an environmental certification, but if you plan to dive there plenty (if you're in town a while) it might be worth the 220 one time fee. Lake Travis offers you deep diving, along with dive parks to go tinker around in. Canyon Lake, from what I hear, is 80' max depth along with 5'ish viz, correct me someone if I'm wrong. Comal and San Marcos Rivers offer clearer drift diving, and often times small treasures from the drunk tubers. You might also be able to do a day trip to Balmorrhea or Lake Amistad. Those are both in West Texas, and are supposed to be good diving...

Great, thanks!!

Do a search for the locations Pville mentioned, there are lot's of posts about these places. Canyon Lake is deeper than 80' the diving is mostly off North Park and the visibility runs about the same as Lake Travis (sometimes 5' sometimes 10-15') in Austin. If I can Make a suggestion make contact with Art and the guys over at Duggan Diving (North East San Antonio) they dive every Thursday evening/night usually at the Comal River and Canyon Lake. This may be a good way to get some dives in with some people until you get you feet good and wet.

Scuba_RN:
The Army has temporarily relocated me to San Antonio for the next few months. Is there anywhere close by that I can dive (prefer within 50 miles, but all suggestions welcome). I am itchin' to get back in the water. I also need to rent gear because I don't have any of my stuff with me here. Thanks in advance!!!

Did you get my private message?

Sport Diver Magazine had a great issue a few months back listing lakes, quarries and the like for the entire US. You could search their website for that listing. I found it very helpful. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom