Looking for Dive Buddy Jersey Shore around Belmar Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L-Street is the Shark River back bay near the boat ramp and sailboat dock?

I wouldn't go near the place right now due to all the rain, it can also fill up with vegetation if the wind is wrong. However, that is a very special place for a really relaxing night dive if conditions are good. As in a real night dive -the later the better. You have the place to yourself, park under the lights near the ramp. No depth or current there, but that never bothered me in the least when I'm just chilling...

If you are local and can scope out the conditions, feel most welcome to PM me with a bit of advance notice.

Doesn't it have to be a night dive? I think day diving is restricted between May and October due to boat traffic.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The inlet certainly is ( NJ Scuba Diving Rules) but I'm not so sure about the back bay. However, I wouldn't attempt to dive there during the day, way too busy -no fun.

SRI.jpg

The inlet bridge is center right and L-Street is lower left corner. Both are very different, very fun dives. For anyone who hasn't been before, mind the tides at the inlet bridge -extremely unforgiving when things get ripping...

Shark R. is allowed in daytime. I dived there last summer and was hooked by someone casting despite being far from them and using my flag. Not much to see there -- maybe 20 feet, dead oysters as I recall.

Lots of tropical fish enthusiasts dive Shark River Inlet in late summer. The Gulf Stream send up countless juvenile and embryonic reef fishes which establish temporary homes in the inlet's rocks and bulkheads when the water is adequately warm. One can sometimes see literally thousands of butterfly fishes, along with small groupers, trunkfish, angelfish, spiny boxfish, seahorses, tangs, lookdowns, jacks, cornet fish, damsel fish, and the occasional rarity. Small Lionfish show up occasionally, as do sea turtles and the occasional octopus.

I frequently dive the inlet in late summer. When conditions are right there is much to see if you know how to look. All the tropical strays die when water temps plummet later in the year.

I did.

Do you guys do informal night inlet/shore dives? On odd occasion, I can do and really enjoy "gregarious".

Oh yes, absolutely. Most of my earliest dives, decades ago, were in Shark River Inlet (there's no 'Shark River'- it's really a tidal basin) or the Manasquan Inlet, at night, often solo, with a big yellow Allen light. This was before I was certified, so I didn't know any better :). I still frequently dive solo, in large part because most of the friends of my youth no longer dive, having gotten inexplicably old, or worse. At one time you could fill a small sack with legal lobsters at night in either inlet.

There is only about an hour window when the inlets are diveable, twice each day, just before peak high and the period of stasis until the tide starts to move out too strongly. If this occurs at 3 AM so much the better. Fewer fishermen. At least two line cutters are absolutely necessary. I carry three.

When I was very young and very stupid I followed the inlet's jetty along a sandy bottom for what I eventually realized was too long a time. I surfaced to get my bearings and was horrified to see that the jetty was fully submerged before I broke the surface. I could see the white breakers glowing as they hit the beach in the midnight darkness but couldn't hear them because I was hundreds of yards out in the open sea. I immediately dived straight down and luckily found the jetty, which I was able to follow back into the inlet where my faithful VW was waiting, parked behind the apartments. This was the solo dive that taught me to plan my dives and dive my plan.

...//... This was the solo dive that taught me to plan my dives and dive my plan.

Great story! Mine is tame by comparison. Paying attention to everything, critically aware of the current. keep the current in your face. It reverses, duh. Sure got deep before I got out on the wrong side. :D Now I use a compass...

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 11:01 PM ----------

Had a thought, maybe the OP would enjoy a day dive at the railroad bridge at Manasquan. Let me know...

Back
Top Bottom