Looking for dive boats that hit northern jersey wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the original question, there are many boats out of Pt Pleasant, Brielle or even further north. A simple google search will get you 90% of them. They do range from "6-packs" (recreational & technical) to the larger boats like Gypsy Blood. My advice is to go out with a number of them until you find the one(s) that suit your temperament, diving style, etc.

And, as you well know, the boat "temperament and style" can vary from trip to trip as a function of who's running the charter. On Gypsy Blood there's a real difference between charters with "Shop A" vs "Shop B" and a "Gypsy Blood Open Boat." And even within each of those, there's often a difference between a trip to deeper/tech offshore stuff vs something more inshore well within recreational depths based on the types of dives and divers involved.

And, as you well know, the boat "temperament and style" can vary from trip to trip as a function of who's running the charter. On Gypsy Blood there's a real difference between charters with "Shop A" vs "Shop B" and a "Gypsy Blood Open Boat." And even within each of those, there's often a difference between a trip to deeper/tech offshore stuff vs something more inshore well within recreational depths based on the types of dives and divers involved.

Aw, c'mon. Just say it.

What Ray and Dave aren't saying is that just because you find a boat/Captain/Mate you like, you might not like them every trip. Boats with shop A (shop A tailored the trip for a certain experience level) might be great on a trip to a shallow good vis well-plundered wreck, with easy warm water diving, but an open boat with a mish mash of divers might make the Captain and Mate tense, until the crew gets a good feel for the experience level of the divers. A good example is the trip Ray and Dave took with me to Mona Channel. New crew who didn't know exactly how things worked, open boat, although by invitation, live boat diving, and we had never taken a sport charter to the destination before all makes for tension among the crew, which spreads to the passengers.

OTOH, a boat with a bunch of guys and gals who have all dived together before on a wreck they are familiar with will tend to be easy going and have more of a jovial atmosphere.

I am lucky that I have my passengers for 5 days or more, and we get settled in a routine by the first few dives. The crew learns the capabilities of the passengers, and the itinerary is adjusted accordingly. The bad part is that in 5 days, if there is a LFP (Least Favorite Passenger), that person shines in all their glory.

Dave naps between dives, so you never really get to know him. :)

Aw, c'mon. Just say it.

What Ray and Dave aren't saying is that just because you find a boat/Captain/Mate you like, you might not like them every trip. Boats with shop A (shop A tailored the trip for a certain experience level) might be great on a trip to a shallow good vis well-plundered wreck, with easy warm water diving, but an open boat with a mish mash of divers might make the Captain and Mate tense, until the crew gets a good feel for the experience level of the divers. A good example is the trip Ray and Dave took with me to Mona Channel. New crew who didn't know exactly how things worked, open boat, although by invitation, live boat diving, and we had never taken a sport charter to the destination before all makes for tension among the crew, which spreads to the passengers.

OTOH, a boat with a bunch of guys and gals who have all dived together before on a wreck they are familiar with will tend to be easy going and have more of a jovial atmosphere.

I am lucky that I have my passengers for 5 days or more, and we get settled in a routine by the first few dives. The crew learns the capabilities of the passengers, and the itinerary is adjusted accordingly. The bad part is that in 5 days, if there is a LFP (Least Favorite Passenger), that person shines in all their glory.

As the perennial LFP on every boat I board, I definitely agree. That said, there is a culture aboard every boat that is unique. Go on several trips with multiple boats, then decide on the one that fits you.

Dave naps between dives, so you never really get to know him. :)

I need my beauty rest...

A good example is the trip Ray and Dave took with me to Mona Channel. New crew who didn't know exactly how things worked, open boat, although by invitation, live boat diving, and we had never taken a sport charter to the destination before all makes for tension among the crew, which spreads to the passengers.

Well, if there was crew tension on that trip I sure didn't notice it. (Other than Mel's dissatisfaction with my technique for re-boarding the boat on the first few dives... but I deserved that wrath.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom