Looking for critiques/comments on mapping project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations both here and in PM... I think it's ready for a "verification" dive to see how accurate it is now...

Aloha, Tim

That sure is nicer than my mapping project. I feel jipped.

kidspot:
We were using a 60ft line to make measurements, so I wonder if I lost track of one "lap" on the line somewhere... interestingly enough, when I plot it out by distance/heading I am off by 55ft... approx 1 line length
You did it the professional, high tech way. I just counted frog kicks. To get one day's set of measurements to correlate with another day's, I'd have to apply a global fudge factor to account for how speedy I was that day. :)

So when are you and Mark Howard going to get together and start selling the "Ultimate Guide to Maui Shore Dive" map booklet? :D

This can't be a divemaster map... I do not see any use of crayon.

fishb0y:
This can't be a divemaster map... I do not see any use of crayon.
Oh hush.:smileysto

Here are my originals ... feel better now? :wink:

map_original.jpg

MUCH better. Thank you. :14:

Nice Job- it the finished product looks very professional. I made my map with the intention of leading local tours, so I included a bunch of landmarks so that if I was off course, I could correct for that. Maybe run parallel legs 10' to 50' (depending on local vis?) off so that you have an idea when you are "off course". Also, intermediate landmarks will help keep you on course, even if it is just a pile of rocks or something sticking out of the bottom.

Eventually I'd like to add some of the more unique coral head formations, as that is the only thing really that would help. The 400ft area between reef systems is all pretty much the same... sand, with the same depth range. Vis is normally 30-80ft (worst to best I've seen there) The moorings are the only variation to landscape that I've noticed in that area ... but I'll be watching for any variations that will help me know my location. So thanks for the idea. Another site I'd like to learn to navagate from shore is the new Carthaginian wreck, about 1/4 -1/2 mile off shore... but that will take awhile to get directional coordinates and bottom features correlated.

Aloha, Tim

Charlie99:
Nice map. Mark H. did a map of Ulua last month for his DM with Maui Dreams. I got interested and did a bunch of direction and distance legs to do an outline around the reef. The first couple times I went to check stuff, I ended up making quite a few corrections.

is that map available somewhere?

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom